Thread: Feb/Mar '20 Lite Challenge: SciFi Battlemap

Default Feb/Mar '20 Lite Challenge: SciFi Battlemap

Feb/Mar '20 Lite Challenge: SciFi Battlemap
    This month's Challenge is to create a SciFi battlemap. The choice is yours, could be the floorplans of a spaceship like Lost in Space, a uranium mining station on an asteroid, a top secret underground research facility as in Doom or Independance Day, The space prisons that Riddick or the Guardians of the Galaxy escape from, a starfield backdrop for a spaceship battle or something even cooler that you think of.

Now I know this is going to be a bit of a risk. The majority of us are Fantasy mappers. SciFi is not our comfort zone. But we are here to push ourselves to expand our skills. I am on a lot of mapping and RPG sites and I frequently hear people begging for more SciFi maps. For a recent Bookmark Challenge I was planing on a typical fantasy floorplan and someone convinced me to switch it up to SciFi and it was a blast doing something so different.
    So don't leave me hanging and do yourselves a favor and jump on this!!!

Win a silver compass, you'll like it

The Challenge will run until the end of the day on the 14th of March, (Midnight eastern daylight time between the 14th and 15th, more or less, depending on when I can get to the computer to start the voting) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Silver Compass, it could be you!

As usual, title your threads: "Feb/Mar '20 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

DEADLINE: March 14th

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started on or after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.

I'm rusty as all heck, but a mapping challenge is as good a way as any to jump back in . Not optimistic about my chances, since I've been distracted by IRL craziness for so long, but looking forward to working on my cartography again.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    I'm rusty as all heck, but a mapping challenge is as good a way as any to jump back in . Not optimistic about my chances, since I've been distracted by IRL craziness for so long, but looking forward to working on my cartography again.
    Any time is a good time to map. Glad you want to join in!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Any time is a good time to map.
    Hear hear! And bravo to you, Mr. Bogues, for pushing us to try something different! I'm quite looking forward to it.

I have already started working on my map. The word "battlemap" makes me nervous right now. I know what a battle and a map is but is this a special term? Or is it just a scenery where some fighting could take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Levtrona View Post
    I have already started working on my map. The word "battlemap" makes me nervous right now. I know what a battle and a map is but is this a special term? Or is it just a scenery where some fighting could take place?
    Yes it is usually just a close up map to use in roleplaying games. Often, but not always used for a battle, could be used for an exploration, or a role playing scenario. Usually made at a scale of 1 inch = 5 feet, but not always.
    Last edited by Bogie; 02-24-2020 at 05:40 PM.

thank you, i might add a grid for scale.

Hey Everyone! Your maps are looking great! Keep up the good work. I will be traveling for the next 6 days and won't be readily available. I will pop in every now and then, but I think you have all got this under control!

24 hour warning!!! I will start the voting about 24 hours from when I posted this message! Finish up!