Thread: Amboise Castle

Wip Amboise Castle

Hi ,

This is the very start of my new project wich is to draw a map of the french castle of Amboise (real one), but I want to draw it from above as it was at his best period (XVI century), in a fantasy style.

Let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amboise WIP 18.02.2020 (1.5).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	6.20 MB 
ID:	120458

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I'm fascinated by castles, so I think you have a very good idea, here ! I'm looking forward to see how your project goes ! Very promising

Up WIP,

Where I realize that it's definitly a bad idea to start draw details when all the buildings are still not in place. I had to erase and redraw like...too many time.

I'm so slow on this! (already 4h and half)

Name:	Amboise WIP 20.02.2020 (4,5).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	6.90 MB 
ID:	120497

I think that's why I went digital... Now, when I draw with paper and pencil, I'm constantly looking for the Ctrl+Z on the top of the page... I'm not good enough to draw on paper...

I have the same problem - I get hung up on the details before the drawing is ready for them.
    It was so bad that I gave up on drawing and painting a long, long time ago.

But I found that I didn't have the same problem when I tried digital painting, possibly because I have to zoom in to do the details.

WIP up!

I'm done with the basic draw. Building are where they belong, I started to add details on each one.

It was a big deal to figure out where to put buildings, cause there is so many differents versions of this castle. For this one, I used this "architect" map from Jacques Androuet du Cerceau in the early 1570's, and Google earth. Then I tried to do my best to mix thoose two in something looking aproximatively correct.

Name:	Amboise - Jacques 1er Androuet du Cerceau 1578.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	801.8 KB 
ID:	120510
    Androuet du Cerceau - 1578?

I finaly found this morning some other files about this castle who show that I'm wrong at some point about positions of some buildings.

Anyway, I'll keep it like this as this map does not have an historic-realistic pretention.

Here is where I am:

Name:	Amboise WIP 21.02.2020 (6).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	8.11 MB 
ID:	120511

Now is the big deal: How can I give a fantasy way to this map? I really need advise on it, to go from something "realistic", to something "fantastic".

Thanks in advance.

I often have the impression that the "fantasy" side of a castle is found a lot in its towers: higher, with additions on the sides... imagine elements of architecture impossible to realize (at least for the time)... overhangs, footbridges on arches, breaking repetitions with non-symmetrical elements. It's probably silly to say, but the Disney castle can give you some ideas?

But it'won't be easy to give this "fantasy" feel with a map from above, I must say...

edit : I'm not sure I'm helping... but here's a castle I'm currently working on. I try to give it a "fantasy feel" too... I think, it's mainly in the dimensions. Of course, it's a lot more easy, because it's in 3D, but maybe it can help you ?

Name:	Donjon01.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	120516
    Last edited by - JO -; 02-22-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I often have the impression that the "fantasy" side of a castle is found a lot in its towers: higher, with additions on the sides... imagine elements of architecture impossible to realize (at least for the time)... overhangs, footbridges on arches, breaking repetitions with non-symmetrical elements. It's probably silly to say, but the Disney castle can give you some ideas?

But it'won't be easy to give this "fantasy" feel with a map from above, I must say...

edit : I'm not sure I'm helping... but here's a castle I'm currently working on. I try to give it a "fantasy feel" too... I think, it's mainly in the dimensions. Of course, it's a lot more easy, because it's in 3D, but maybe it can help you ?

Name:	Donjon01.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	120516
    Thanks for advise. Yes, I realise it will be hard to make it from above... I think I'll maybe try with details, and the way of the writing, outline and small designs around. If I do exagerate towers and architecture, I will change completly the castle...