Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The South Indies: Mu and the Hivan Archipelago

When I zoom in 100%, they look like clean scan-lines (the medium grey labels are hard to read on them, like if you are sitting directly in front of an old television). When zooming out (so the maps fits completely into my browser window), the lines are gone and I only see the paper noise texture (which I like ).

It isn't really bad or something, just something I noticed.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Ah, I see what you mean.

To be entirely honest, I've been simply replicating the process for the seven maps, as I wanted all of them to keep the same line. Thus, I haven't revisited some of the methods in a while for this particular style!

Here's a test version replacing the scanlines with a washed-out shade of cerulean. What do you think of it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hiva y Mu - 7 - Mar Ajustado.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	120616

I like the scanlines, but I too have them vanish when I zoom out, it's an effect of the monitor I guess, moire I think, you'll see it happening with gradients and such too and it's important in television to select clothing that doesn't do this! If your end destination is print media I say go for them, and if you mean for them to be digitally viewed, try alternatives. I do prefer the lines to the blank but it does work as an alternative if you don't like that vanishing illusion. You could also try wider scanlines, or set them further apart.

I also like your setting, it's neat.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Terrific progress! I only personnally have a little trouble distinguishing between the borders and the coastline next to blur countries. I liked the scanlines better when zoomed in but it's true that it looks better zoomed out that way. And I like the colors. ^^
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Having a version without the lines for digital purposes and a version with lines for printing sounds like a good idea to me.

Have you already done test prints?

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I like the scanlines, but I too have them vanish when I zoom out, it's an effect of the monitor I guess, moire I think, you'll see it happening with gradients and such too and it's important in television to select clothing that doesn't do this! If your end destination is print media I say go for them, and if you mean for them to be digitally viewed, try alternatives. I do prefer the lines to the blank but it does work as an alternative if you don't like that vanishing illusion. You could also try wider scanlines, or set them further apart.

I also like your setting, it's neat.
    Thank you very much, Tiana.

The maps are meant to go in the manual, which I plan to make available both in print and PDF, although since we're making all the art in sepia tones, I'll have to revisit these to make sure there's enough contrast.

Here's an example of the art we're doing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prodigiosa Inventora [Final 01].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	701.0 KB 
ID:	120645

You do make a good point of keeping alternate versions for print and digital, to avoid the weird line effects. I'll try experimenting with some other patterns and textures to see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn Cwper View Post
    Terrific progress! I only personnally have a little trouble distinguishing between the borders and the coastline next to blur countries. I liked the scanlines better when zoomed in but it's true that it looks better zoomed out that way. And I like the colors. ^^
    Much appreciated, Eowyn.

I think I understand what you mean: the borders of the defined territories look very similar to the coastline in those places where they meet with undefined tribal territories. I'll see if I can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yrda View Post
    Having a version without the lines for digital purposes and a version with lines for printing sounds like a good idea to me.

Have you already done test prints?
    Yeah, I agree. Very good idea.

No test prints yet. I wanted to finish all seven maps first to see if I liked the style. Now that they are finished, I'll do some experiments to see what to adjust.

Thank you all for your tips and observations!
    Last edited by Klaus van der Kroft; 02-28-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12