Thread: Rank Amateur Seeking Expert Advice

Question Rank Amateur Seeking Expert Advice

Hi, experienced mappers! I stumbled upon this site in my search for map tiles (like Vile Tiles), tutorials, images...basically any help I could find! I am well and truly stuck. I am working on a 21x21 square map with each square equal to 1 square mile. I've made plenty of battle and dungeon maps, not elegant but perfectly usable, I've made a few kingdom and world maps that weren't awful, but this middle distance is kicking my butt. Worse, my game is stuck until I get this obnoxious thing finished; I've screwed up travel times, and this area is base for the next several adventures, so I have to correct it. I need to indicate copses and woodlots, not forests, hills and moors, not mountains, villages that take up about a quarter square (much too small for buildings, but just a dot looks funny), brooks and bridges, and, especially, several individual farms that take up one square (640 acres) or less. Any advice or direction would be greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Guild Apprentice

I am not expert advice by far, but I feel people will be able to help you better by viewing what you have so far and giving tips to correct it. If the problem is less a technical one and more a lack of inspiration on what style to use at that scale, there are plenty of examples of regional maps in the gallery, you might want to have a look at them. A personal favorite of mine (of many, I believe) at that level of scale is Max, but there are many others active on this site. You can also check real world and historical maps to see how much detail is normally shown at that magnification. If you are like me and always tend to cram too much or too little in a page, even a Googlemap view of a portion of our world with similar characteristics is huge help.

First of all, welcome to the guild! I second what krostatina voiced and would love to see an example of what you’re working on to better understand the problem. I’m sure somebody will be able to help out

- Josh