Thread: Greetings!

Default Greetings!

Greetings to you, fellow cartographers!

Well, I'm not sure if I can call you fellow yet, because so far, I haven't drawn more than one "serious" map in my life. Besides treasure maps in my childhood, which were also very serious, of course. But when you are creating your own world, some day you realize you need a map. So it was done. I'd like to put together a making of first and show it here some time, but since the map is old already (it's from 2016), I guess a little bit procrastinating until I feel a little bit at home here shouldn't be a problem. Some of you who are active on deviantart might have seen it already (I saw some familiar faces here).

Years ago a friend of mine, who was a much more industrious illustrator than me (these days I only draw now and then) recommended this community to me. But I couldn't decide to register back then. Since I still like forums though and there aren't so many that are active and alive in the time of the post social media era, today was the day.

Your maps are very inspiring and creative, and I adore all the different styles. Maybe, I hope so, what I see here can also inspire me to draw again. As if this ever had worked for me when seeing amazing works by other illustrators. But still. I'm happy to finally be here.

Welcome to the guild! If you've drawn even one serious map, then you've done more serious maps than some of me! (see https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=32914 and https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=33598 as examples ).

Greetings! I do hang around deviantArt a fair deal, so I'm curious to see if I've come across your work at some point or not. And I'm not entirely sure what one would even classify as a serious map I can't say I consider my own work as such most of the time... I'm glad you finally decided to take the leap and join us. This is an awesome community and like you said, the somewhat rare still active forum, which in this day and age sometimes feels a little like a dying breed.

Welcome to the Guild, I look forward to seeing you around!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you for your welcome!
    About the seriosity of maps: Haha, I think this was a bit ironical. With serious I meant something like "put hours of time and work into it, and really think about the naming of countries and so on".

@waldronate
    Very funny and creative, these maps of yours. I can't compete with these!

@Kellerica
    Your maps are awesome!

I already started a wip (rather a making of) thread for my old map ... and put it in the gallery. I guess what I have to do next ist trying a tutorial I found here yesterday. Just for playing around with techniques again, I'm excited!

Welcome to the Guild! And yes, I still prefer forums over much of social media so it’s nice that CG is still kicking . I find it is definitely important to share your work from the beginning in order to get better. So definitely don’t feel intimidated, we all were there at some point. And frankly there’s still countless things I suck at drawing and need to practice ��

- Josh