Thread: Zodanga

Default Zodanga

Hey there =)

Seems like I really neglected my online presence these past couple of months...

I'd like to share with you this city map I made a while ago for Modiphius Entertainment, for their John Carter of Mars RPG.
    I had lots of fun working on a city map in a bit of a different setting with a unique touch, for a change. The client asked me to make the difference between tall and lower buildings visible on the map and I really enjoyed working that out with cast shadows and by pulling the taller buildings more into focus by making them brighter.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Cheers!
    Matthias

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zodanga_Matthias_Rothenaicher_web.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	688.5 KB 
ID:	120509
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Interesting choice. I might have added a legend to explain the height code since I see it ranges from more than just short and tall. The result is great, very easy on the eyes, an excellent style for that sort of genre.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Wow, this looks amazing. I've enjoyed this style of city before, but I think this one has a much stronger texture to it than your previous maps did and I love it. I feel like the handdrawn lines of the hills and vegetation around the city should clash with the buildings that look a bit more 3D to me, but somehow they don't. The whole is harmonious in a way I can't quite put my finger on. Killer colours too, and I think the shadow work on the taller buildings came out great too. Just love this! Have some rep, and off to the inspiration folder with you!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Oh, great city map, Mat ! I love the unique style, working really well for this thematic, and I'm fond of how you shown the height of the buildings. Well done !

Very nice work, Matt & congrats for the commission.