Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ardanea: World Map

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really like your style on this map: a very fine line and a color choice that is quite bold but very consistent. The idea of the maze world is excellent, too, and extremely well done: not too strong and obvious, quite organic and natural. The choice of the frame is also quite daring in its shape, but it is a very successful whole! And if moreover you tell us that this is your first map : double congratulations !!!!

I like the colors and the yellow tint. It makes the land look like it's glowing.

@Arimel
    Now that you mention it - the initial idea for this labyrinth* came into being in 2006, so there was no Maze Runner back then. But there are runners indeed, in some way. Or walkers, if you like to call them that.
    I'm not too familiar with the whole Maze Runner concept though, have seen the first movie some years ago but didn't read the books or watch the sequels. No need for apologies anyway. Not knowing it, I can't tell for sure if there are any other parallels in the concept and story.

* or maze, I always confuse these terms, since we usually just call it "Labyrinth" in common german - and in this case, I'd say it's kind of both.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yrda View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, Redrobes.
    Since you are not alone with your comment about the colors, maybe I should think about tweaking them a bit if I touch the map again (just so that it doesn't burn out any eyes).
    I was only commenting about the colours because others had and if your monitor was set odd then its useful to know if everyone else is seeing it with different hues. It looks great - I like the colours and I think everyone else here does too.

Terry Pratchett is a nice association btw, I love the Discworld! (although I wasn't that fond of Josh Kirbys covers and preferred the ones created by Paul Kidby).
    Ohh I loved Josh Kirbys art. I met him and Pratchett once at a book signing and I took along a blank white T shirt and got Terry to sign it all across the back and Josh to sign it bottom right then I painted it with the Mort cover. He did have an unusual style tho.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kirby.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	120553  

Awww, you lucky one!

Glad to stumble upon this one, it's gorgeous !

A strage labyrinthine world within a pretty well crafted frame... I like it.

The shape you used in your composition is pleasingly unusual.

I think the colors look good, the strong yellow tint of the land instantly catches the eye.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Splendid, splendid map here ! For some reason, the map or style, or... I don't know... looks familiar to me. Is it possible I already saw some of your work somewhere on the Internet ?

Anyway, a bit late to the party : welcome aboard, Yrda ! It will be a pleasure to have you around

@MistyBeee
    Maybe you've just seen this map elsewhere, since I otherwise mostly paint in a completely different style (that rather "typical" digital painting style - and depicting characters, creatures or sceneries instead of maps). Except for Inktober, of course.
    Or you've seen a map created by someone else in a similar style, why not.

Thank you!

Wow, this is quite different and cool! The maze like topography is really run. Very nice work on the linework. I love the rich colors as well. Great work!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

@Arimel
    Now that you mention it - the initial idea for this labyrinth* came into being in 2006, so there was no Maze Runner back then. But there are runners indeed, in some way. Or walkers, if you like to call them that.
    I'm not too familiar with the whole Maze Runner concept though, have seen the first movie some years ago but didn't read the books or watch the sequels. No need for apologies anyway. Not knowing it, I can't tell for sure if there are any other parallels in the concept and story.

* or maze, I always confuse these terms, since we usually just call it "Labyrinth" in common german - and in this case, I'd say it's kind of both.
    I have only watched the movies not read the books but there is nothing that similar between them and the map. I was just trying to say a pun (and a bad one at that). Excellent map again though!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast