Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ardanea: World Map

Map Ardanea: World Map

This is my first finished map. It's not really fresh but from 2016, but you have to start somewhere.

Ardanea is a fictional world I'm working on since the year 2000. It started with a different name and changed quite much over time.
    I do not draw realistic and precise maps but was aiming for a somewhat traditional but not too authentic looking map.

The main idea was to show a world that is a huge old labyrinth - so huge that its inhabitants might not even realize what they are living in.

The map was created mostly in Photoshop, but I also used 3D software for creating a reference for the labyrinth shape as well as water color on paper for some texture. See the WIP thread for the making of.

So here's the map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ardanea_006.jpg 
Views:	7533 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	120544

(if you've seen this map elsewhere, posted by aeyol or Aeyolscaer, that's ok, because these are just another nick names of mine)

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Very nicely done indeed, Yrda. The angular, labyrinthine mountains give it a very flavourful and unique sense of mystery, like I'm looking at a mythical map made by an ancient Greek explorer. The concept of a maze world sounds quite appealing.

Excellent map!

So this is the "Past" side of your world, right? Are you planning to map the other two sides as well? I'm curious to see what the "Present" and "Future" sides will look like.

Thank you, Klaus

@Jerron
    Someone with insider knowledge there.
    Yes, this is the Past. I already have a very blurry plan to map the other sides (Now and Future) as well, which was one motivation to also register here! But remembering how much time this map took me, I'll see when this will happen. I have a little game to finish, first.

Ah yes, I do remember seeing this over on dA. Easily one of those inspirational ones that I keep coming back to. I love that labyrinth design of the world, and the map is filled with all sorts of wonderful details. I've seen the cloud theme used a frame before, and it's always nice, but your little crows are just such a wonderful addition to it. The colour scheme is kind of unnatural looking (at least on my screen) and I think it works extremely well with the design on the world.

A fantastic map, through and through. I look forward to seeing what other kind of maps you'll create! They do have a tough act to follow, but I have a feeling you'll pull through.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

@Kellerica
    Nice to read that my map can be an inspiration for you - since it's the same for me with your maps which all convince me in their own way and style!

It's interesting that you call the color scheme "unnatural", since indeed the world is artifical (it was created by little steampunk robots for an AI that's running around in the body of a giant robot spider in the inside of the world - but that's another story).
    But I also don't have a calibrated monitor. (your own maps look definitely more natural compared to this one)

Blog Entries

What a great map. Just posting to say that it's very yellowy on my screen - but I like it. It looks like those drawings from old oxidized parchment. Gives me the Terry Pratchett vibes !

I know its an unnatural map so this is all aside from reality, but I notice that you have a lake with two rivers out to the sea which would be unearthly on a realistic map.

Thank you for your feedback, Redrobes.
    Since you are not alone with your comment about the colors, maybe I should think about tweaking them a bit if I touch the map again (just so that it doesn't burn out any eyes).
    Terry Pratchett is a nice association btw, I love the Discworld! (although I wasn't that fond of Josh Kirbys covers and preferred the ones created by Paul Kidby).

About the lake with two rivers: Ha, yes, that's an old and known flaw. It was a reason why I called the map "not precise", because I'm not yet sure what I'll do about that. Have to work on the lore for that part, so I have to confess that part is final "for now". Although I'm not into realism, if the map looks real enough for such a detail to be irritating, I think something should be done to make it credible.
    Last edited by Yrda; 02-22-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Really lovely map! I love this! The depth you achieved in this! I also love the colors you used here! Great work!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Does this maze world have runners? I apologize . Very neat and well portrayed design. World that have such a long buildup time always look fantastic and impressive when finally revealed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast