Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***March 2020 Challenge - Map a Superhero/villain Lair**

Default ***March 2020 Challenge - Map a Superhero/villain Lair**

Be it the Bat Cave, Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters or Dr. Victor Von Doom's Castle Doom there is just something fascinating about the hidden (or not so hidden) lairs of superhuman beings. Who knows, perhaps the ancient Greeks felt the same way about Mt. Olympus. Well this month's challenge is to map one such lair. This lair must be home to a superhero/villain from either a published source, or one from a preestablished comic of your own creation. The map may either be of an entire lair, or merely some section of it. Bonus points to anyone who can make this map feel like something that would be at home in a graphic novel.

The challenge shall be open until the evening of the 31st of the month after which all threads shall be closed for voting. The winner shall receive the much sought after Golden Compass.

In addition to the specifics of this Challenge please be sure to adhere to THE RULES:

1) Title your thread: March 2020 Challenge: <<your title would go here>>
    2) Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress image you post, otherwise the image will not show up in the thumbnails.
    3) Only maps begun on or after today (February 4th) are eligible for the contest.

Good luck to each of you!
    Last edited by arsheesh; 03-06-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Can we draw a tongue-in-cheek map of a real world villain/hero (it'll be a matter of perspective) lair ?

@ThomasR: I guess drawing a map of the Oval Office as a villain's lair would be too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Can we draw a tongue-in-cheek map of a real world villain/hero (it'll be a matter of perspective) lair ?
    Hmm, interesting question. I guess if you could underscore the satirical nature of piece this could work. However a word of caution, I'd avoid political or religious figures or figures that might stir up controversy here at the forums. The last thing we want is to start schisms or firestorms between members here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
    @ThomasR: I guess drawing a map of the Oval Office as a villain's lair would be too easy.
    Yeah, that was my (mischievous) intent but any high profile leader would do, French president included.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hmm, interesting question. I guess if you could underscore the satirical nature of piece this could work. However a word of caution, I'd avoid political or religious figures or figures that might stir up controversy here at the forums. The last thing we want is to start schisms or firestorms between members here.
    Yeah, you're right. Not specifying villain or hero would not be enough to ease it up and I should definitely leave the forum in the quiet, "nicest place in the internet" state it is in. Thanks for pointing that out Tad, you're wiser than me

Don't stir that pot here, even if it's in snarky fun not everyone may take it that way. This place only stays 'nice' because we don't compare our political and religious stick lengths. I'm not saying DON'T map the Oval Office... just maybe not for this challenge lest it open up the floodgates of people arguing whether he's a villain or hero.

Ooh, I have an idea for what I might make for this though, I'm very seriously considering running a campaign and I could make one of the 'boss battle' rooms, there are several that are fairly lair-ish.
    Last edited by Tiana; 03-06-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I think it would be best to leave politics and religion and such out of the Guild.
    It does no good and as Tiana and Arsheesh say, merely stirs up trouble. Just my opinion.

Pssst:

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    1) Title your thread: February 2020 Challenge: <<your title would go here>>
    (Adding text to lengthen message to at least ten characters)

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    Pssst:

(Adding text to lengthen message to at least ten characters)
    Oops, that's what comes of copy and pasting I guess, thanks for pointing this out.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I think it would be best to leave politics and religion and such out of the Guild.
    I agree with the whole being polite thing. Having said that, I'll send anyone who's up for a villain's lair my home address. It's within two blocks of eight religious establishments (not counting the elementary school or various private shrines), so it's probably more of a SUPER villain's lair. It even has dead trees, deformed monstrosities, defunct vehicles, cavorting undersized humanoids, and dung piles in the yard to help complete the general atmosphere of evil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast