Thread: WIP: Orman

Default WIP: Orman

Hi everyone. I haven't had much time to post anything lately, but I'd like to share the latest commission I am working on, and get some feedback.

This is a map of Orman, being created for Project Dark Water. I can't say more about the setting now, but I would like your thoughts and comments on the map.

In particular, I'd like to know what you think of the clouds I've put over the cloud forests (some of you may recall that I asked about how to do mangrove swamps and cloud forests a few months ago: here's the original thread).

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Wingshaw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orman WIP 20200305.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	6.43 MB 
ID:	120745  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I like the style of the map, somehow it reminds me of old adventure books. To me it looks rather friendly because of the colors.

The clouds in/over the cloud forest don't really convince me though. They are quite blurry and look a bit milky when I zoom out. Maybe try another cloud / fog brush with crispier edges/some details? (looks like you've used one at the volcano)
    I think I'd also do something about the fade-out of the volcano smoke cloud - maybe you could add some subtle smaller clouds there, and/or layer it a bit more crispy to transparency? (don't know if it's clear what I mean there).
    Reference images of active volcanoes often show rather bulky cloud "tops" instead of fading ones as seen here. Hope it helps.

Take all this with a grain of salt though, I'm no professional map illustrator.

I second liking the style of this map. It reminds me of something from when I was younger, but I can't quite place what. Maybe some of the maps from the Chronicles of Narnia? I'm not sure, but it's triggering something deep in my soul! I do also agree on the clouds over the forests. Especially when zoomed out, to me, it almost just looks like part of the coloring, causing the forests to almost look like hills or mountains. I don't know if it'd exactly fit with the vision you have in your head, but if you did that hand drawn style of cloud that you used for the bulk of the volcano smoke for the forest clouds, but then set it to a lower opacity maybe? But in my opinion, that's a bit nit-picky and I had to zoom in to really see what was going on there, and it doesn't detract from the overall quality of the map. Overall, I really like it!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I must agree with blattacker and Yrda about the clouds. When zoomed out they look... strange. Possibly like little milky snakes instead of clouds. Zoomed in though they look alright to me, it is just how they appear zoomed out that throws me off.
    The colors used for this work are also rather upbeat or bright. This does not seem entirely to me to match the darkwater opening description "a land tainted by a seeping corruption". The other artwork (based on the little bits that could be seen) are also slightly (not that much but slightly) more subdued in coloration. Not sure what you are going for in this regard though.
    To be honest though, I really like what you have here. The mangrove forests (they are the ones off the coast, right?) and mountains in particular look great.

Thanks for those comments, guys

Quote Originally Posted by Yrda View Post
    The clouds in/over the cloud forest don't really convince me though. They are quite blurry and look a bit milky when I zoom out. Maybe try another cloud / fog brush with crispier edges/some details? (looks like you've used one at the volcano)
    Yeah, I definitely see what you mean. I'll experiment a bit with those clouds, and see if I can make them a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by blattacker View Post
    I do also agree on the clouds over the forests. Especially when zoomed out, to me, it almost just looks like part of the coloring, causing the forests to almost look like hills or mountains. I don't know if it'd exactly fit with the vision you have in your head, but if you did that hand drawn style of cloud that you used for the bulk of the volcano smoke for the forest clouds, but then set it to a lower opacity maybe?
    I think that's a good idea, blattacker, but it's not possible anymore. The linework phase is finished, and since I use multimedia approaches, it's not possible to go back to that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I must agree with blattacker and Yrda about the clouds. When zoomed out they look... strange. Possibly like little milky snakes instead of clouds. Zoomed in though they look alright to me, it is just how they appear zoomed out that throws me off.
    Okay, so clearly the clouds need to be reworked a bit...

I think I'd also do something about the fade-out of the volcano smoke cloud - maybe you could add some subtle smaller clouds there, and/or layer it a bit more crispy to transparency? (don't know if it's clear what I mean there). Reference images of active volcanoes often show rather bulky cloud "tops" instead of fading ones as seen here. Hope it helps.
    I'm not entirely sure I understand your meaning I know that I want to avoid the volcano becoming too dominant a feature of the map, though.

To me it looks rather friendly because of the colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    The colors used for this work are also rather upbeat or bright. This does not seem entirely to me to match the darkwater opening description "a land tainted by a seeping corruption". The other artwork (based on the little bits that could be seen) are also slightly (not that much but slightly) more subdued in coloration. Not sure what you are going for in this regard though.
    The client specifically asked for a bright and colourful map, I think due to the SE Asian character of the region.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer