Thread: Commissioned map image of lower Connecticut River valley for a soccer club

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Commissioned map image of lower Connecticut River valley for a soccer club

Looking for a map image of the towns of the Lower CT River Valley. The main need is as an image to be put on soccer jerseys. I would at least like the right to commercial reproduction if not copyright as I plan to use this when I open the club. I am looking to put this image on all our gear and equipment. I will need to send the image to the guy designing the kits (jerseys) so it needs to be very hi resolution. I have attached an image for geographic orientation. I'd like the map to be historic- looking; think 1700-1800's pirate map with enough detail to make it intriguing but not so cluttered it looks like a CADRG map. I've searched everywhere so you tell me what the price should be and we'll go from there. Thanks in advance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LowerCTRvrVly.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	123584

Guild Novice

Hi there! LeslieAnn here from Lizard Ink Maps!

I would love to help you out with this project! The style you’re looking for is right up my alley. If you would like to check out my portfolio here is that link! https://www.lizardinkmaps.com/portfolio

If you are interested, just shoot me an email at leslieann@lizardinkmaps.com with some additional details including your desired size for the project, whether you prefer black & white tones, sepia, or full color, and a preferred time frame and I’ll get back to you with a quote within a day!

Cheers!

LeslieAnn

Well, this is the right place to look for a map commission. Most of the best cartographers come and post here every now and again, and many commission taking artists as well.

Hm, I don't know if KMA takes commissions but his style for historical recreation maps would be spot on, he's really nailed that period design in some of his past maps. That would be this user: https://www.cartographersguild.com/member.php?u=115922

And of course I take commissions as well. My portfolio of fantasy maps. Assuming you want a full jersey print, which is about the size of a poster, and commercial rights, looking at around a $500-$800 quote from me, which includes your full rights for all commercial use in the future. If you just want a square patch on the jersey instead of full fabric print, it would be less. There will have to be some coordination to know what your printer needs, depending on if you want it in embroidery or a screenprint or a laser cut leather patch all of these have different production techniques which must be set up in the art properly, not afterwards. Probably, the best way to achieve the old map look in your project will be to select an 'aged' underlay fabric rather than actually hard baking in a texture which is part of the process that Lizard Inks clearly uses. Of course her art is nice and I'm sure you could coordinate this kind of art creation with her too, just making sure you're going to keep in mind that you'll probably need a few separate vector layers for the actual physical creation of the product, unless you do a digital print on fabric transfer paper, in which case anything goes.

I have done one project something like this before, a large game board print for a museum which was a historical map recreation and involved sandwiching a few files to ensure it was printed correctly onto the enormous canvas setup, and it's not as easy as the average map request for sure. Hence my higher quote.

There are also a few outstanding and far more experienced vector artists on here who might pop up to offer you help.

Cheers.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Visitor Messages are a bit weird, so I'm also going to reply to this publically here zbarber44. I hope that's okay.

So, I don't do commissions or freelance work. (Although I do thank Tiana for thinking of me.) I'm a writer by trade and spend the majority of my time doing that. Most of my mapping work is focused on providing tools for other cartographers. (Hence my brush sets.) I try to keep it more of a hobby than a job.

But, even with that said... I might be able to help you out. Most of the maps from the 18th century should be in the public domain, so I don't think you'd need to need to worry about use. (Remember: I'm not a lawyer. So this isn't legal advice. Etc. Etc.)

Your best bet to find 18th-century maps for the Lower CT River Valley would be David Rumsey's Map Collection. You can find it here: davidrumsey.com. You can download HUGE maps for free, and they have a ton of them. Just use their Luna Viewer and search for Connecticut, and then you can filter down to the year/era/etc. you want. It's a great resource for both research and just looking through an amazing collection of old maps.

Your other option is oldmapsonline.org; this site let you zoom in to a particular area on the map, and it'll gather all the old maps they know for that area. It's quite handy and lets you filter by years as well. They might link to some of the David Rumsey stuff, but they all pull in from libraries and university archives, so it's helpful to cast a wider net.

Good luck and I hope that helps!

I did a quick search on David Rumsey and this 1776 map is pretty great.

This 1797 is also pretty fun and I like the smugness in the name "A Correct Map of Connecticut"
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 07-03-2020 at 01:26 PM.