Thread: Nymphisos Dhal

Default Nymphisos Dhal

Hi everyone

This year I want to expand guild city by another ward, but before that I though why not practice more.
    This started as much bigger town, but i cut it almost by half. It's still long way to go for me to make nice looking towns without looking to much time.
    I put some extra effort for the roofs in this one. Usually, I use a texture for roof tiles, or just texture brushes, but here i drew the lines seperately for every roof. Quite tedious work i must say, but looks nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nymphisos_Dhal_CG.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	120769
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Excellent map Voolf! The attention to detail on the roofs really pays off in my opinion so I'm glad you took the time.

I'd also really love to see a tutorial/hear you discuss how you illustrate your trees. For my money your the best in the Guild at these top down trees and no matter how much attention I pay I can't quite get mine to a level that I'm super pleased with.

This is terrific work, Rafal ! You're one of my favourite cartographers when it comes to this kind of top-down cities/towns (and the same goes for dungeons).

This looks incredibly smooth, tidy and clean! I love it!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wonderful! Your particular lineart lends itself really well to the exercise of an urban map! I really like your choices, especially the overall shape of the city. And your attention to detail works wonders here! A special mention for the city's coat of arms: I think it's very good!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Excellent! I saw this one in your sketch thread and loved it then. It looks even better now! I also need to second the GreatWhiteNorth's request for a tutorial. Your trees are superb!

Edit: Guess I am not handing out rep fast enough! Will have to loop back!

Can't rep you at the moment, but a fantastic map!!

And, like GWN and Arimel said: your trees are fantastic

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Glad to see it finished, as usual it's remarkably clear and precise.

Great job !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Excellent map Voolf! The attention to detail on the roofs really pays off in my opinion so I'm glad you took the time.

I'd also really love to see a tutorial/hear you discuss how you illustrate your trees. For my money your the best in the Guild at these top down trees and no matter how much attention I pay I can't quite get mine to a level that I'm super pleased with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Excellent! I saw this one in your sketch thread and loved it then. It looks even better now! I also need to second the GreatWhiteNorth's request for a tutorial. Your trees are superb!
    Thanks guys. I was thinking of doing some mini tutorials like the river flow i did one or two years ago? It is just hard to find some extra time for it.
    My trees is a mix of Mike Schley, Ross McConnell and John Stevenson trees. I was following and trying to draw similar trees in this order (this is the chronological order I discovored their maps ). With every style i have learned something new and probably glue it together into what you can see now. Following wips really helps understand the proccess behind it.
    My trees usually have one flat colour, then one shade on the right-bottom side and two light layers on left-upper side. One is subtle light to brighten the left side, second is a very bright colour to indicade some light reflection from leaves. Sometimes in the end I add some extra colour scatter around, but not often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    This is terrific work, Rafal ! You're one of my favourite cartographers when it comes to this kind of top-down cities/towns (and the same goes for dungeons).
    Thank you very much. That is a high praise.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wonderful! Your particular lineart lends itself really well to the exercise of an urban map! I really like your choices, especially the overall shape of the city. And your attention to detail works wonders here! A special mention for the city's coat of arms: I think it's very good!
    Thank you. I am so glad you like the coat of arms. I was strugling with it for a while and even though of removing it completaly from the map for a second there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCB View Post
    Excelent map... Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn Cwper View Post
    This looks incredibly smooth, tidy and clean! I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Can't rep you at the moment, but a fantastic map!!

And, like GWN and Arimel said: your trees are fantastic

Wingshaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moureau View Post
    Glad to see it finished, as usual it's remarkably clear and precise.

Great job !
    Thank you very much everyone
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee