Thread: the Growing Mountains of Mulciber.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default the Growing Mountains of Mulciber.

Here's the latest map for the Atlas Elyden project, depicting the Growing Mountains of Mulciber. The labels on this one took an age to get done - i think its the most label-intense map I've made for the atlas. funny that its a mountain region along the northern tropic.

The atlas key/legend for the map can be found here.

More info on the region can be found here.

For more on Elyden, including high-res maps, lore and art, don't forget to check out my Patreon and website.

Once a powerful nation based around the freestone-rich Growing Mountains, the unexpected assassination in 1111 RM of its living-god Nephthalont led to decades of chaos, the pervasive religion that had grown around it shattered. Church and state splintered into opposing ideological sects that warred amongst each other over centuries of civil war that led to radicalised factions, and by 1600 - 1800 RM they had settled into dozens of different tribes, each with their own version of the cult of Nephthalont and their own suspsects for their gods’ murder.

Today, Mulciber remains an unstable region that is funded by Sarastroan arms dealers. It is dangerous to outsiders and natives alike as each of its 33 tribes maintains constant vigil of its fluxing borders. Contact between tribes is relatively uncommon beyond firefights and clashes, though those in the outer foothills trade with outsiders.

A neutral pariah caste of itinerant merchants, known as the ahhas, travel between tribes, bringing news and trade with them, helping to maintain peace. Their ancestors were once acolytes of Nephthalont and they are respected for this, despite the differing views of the tribes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mulciber Growing Mtns Low-res.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	6.24 MB 
ID:	120794

Oh my God this density. I can tell the labels have been a hassle. It seems you've combined handdrawn and vectory styles there, it's incredible!

PS: what font did you use for the key?
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Damn, I'm either tired or I'm tearing up in awe, this is exceptional. I don't know I'd have the patience to complete something as detailed in vector as this, you've done a great job capturing the encyclopedia look in all its detail while giving it a bit of age.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Another great piece of worldbuilding.

I'm impressed by the amount of information you manage to display on your maps.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Spectacular as always, man.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Damn, I'm either tired or I'm tearing up in awe, this is exceptional. I don't know I'd have the patience to complete something as detailed in vector as this, you've done a great job capturing the encyclopedia look in all its detail while giving it a bit of age.
    I totally agree. Awesome combination of styles which end in a perfect "old atlas look"!

High labels density, indeed ! Another impressive and glorious addition to your atlas, Vorro .

Maybe a bit hard to read sometimes, but readable, nontheless.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn Cwper View Post
    Oh my God this density. I can tell the labels have been a hassle. It seems you've combined handdrawn and vectory styles there, it's incredible!
    PS: what font did you use for the key?
    I know, I should switch to vector - this is all raster, done in photoshop. the font is IM fell font family, which I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    thanks! Quite a few people have mentioned vectors, and though it makes more sense to use vector programs for this type of map, I did everything in raster in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moureau View Post
    Another great piece of worldbuilding.
    I'm impressed by the amount of information you manage to display on your maps.
    Thanks! Soa m I to be honest, and this map really dragged on for ages - Its weird how a map of a mountainous region along the tropic line could end up with so many labels - I have temperate zone maps in fertile areas that have half as many labels. I justified it by this map being more comprehensive, and the scale is actually quite small scale than most of my normal maps, as in it shows a lot more area than others as it depicts a large region, so the labels would be denser. I'll take a break for dense labels for a while now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Spectacular as always, man.
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Styescape View Post
    I totally agree. Awesome combination of styles which end in a perfect "old atlas look"!
    Thanks I'm slowly inching closer to getting a full atlas of the world complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    High labels density, indeed ! Another impressive and glorious addition to your atlas, Vorro .
    Maybe a bit hard to read sometimes, but readable, nontheless.
    thanks. The resolution is reduced to 175 dpi for this map, from the original 300, so that might factor into the legibility. the density of labels doesnt help much though, granted

That's insane. I love it.
    At first glance I thought it was one of those beautiful Rand-McNally maps. Incredibly detailed and professional.

Amazing work. If I wanted to travel with the ahhas, would they take me on as an extra caravan guard?