View Poll Results: Which of the following matches clostest to how you feel about the rep system ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • It works great as is and I dont see a problem with it.

2 6.90%
  • I like the idea of rep but it needs a bit of tweaking.

20 68.97%
  • I have never been bothered by rep and I ignore it.

2 6.90%
  • The rep system in its current form needs a complete overhaul to make it work.

4 13.79%
  • I dont like any form of rep system nor do I approve of the idea of it.

1 3.45%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What should we do about Rep ?

A few chaotic remarks, seeing that I've been aware of this question for less than two minutes.

I mostly ignore rep given to me because I post for a project group. Three people make our maps, so rep often goes to me for maps made by other members of the group.

I think a rep system is a good idea. I think the current system is so vague that it doesn't mean much. Why is rep given? For a good map? For a good idea? For providing good information? For providing help? Who knows?

If I see that hypothetical member John Doe has 2 million points of rep and a rating of Holier than god himself!, what do I know? Well, I know that list members think that John Doe has done a helluva lot of good stuff, but I have no idea what that good stuff is. It could be that John Doe simply is a super online dude who never has made or posted a map.

Servus,
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

If I had to decide between just +1 and +1/-1 rep, I'd also simply go for +1.
    I just wasn't sure if there was a -x possible currently (since that star first reminded me of a bad cop sherriff star ).

About "what are rep for" - well, I thought it can mean anything. To me a well done map is worth rep just as much as a helpful tutorial on techniques for example. For "this is a great map artist", we do have the awards, don't we? (although of course it doesn't mean that members without awards yet are not )

My two cents: I really like the fact that rep exists on this site. Of course, I could show my approval for something by posting a comment or rating a thread, but it doesn't hurt to have multiple methods for showing approval: sometimes I'm in the mood to write a positive comment or feedback, and sometimes I only have the time to click that little "Rep" button. That said, there is clearly an issue of inflation here. So, I hope rep remains in place, but I think it needs to be adjusted.

Also, out of interest: if rep is adjusted, is that going to be retroactively applied? If so, I imagine that'd be an absolute headache for the admins/CLs...

And lastly, an idea or suggestion: what if the rating system and rep were combined. My proposal would be that, when I add rep to someone's post, that rep goes to the post, not the member. And then, members have a rep score that is based on some amalgamation of the rep given to their posts.

[EDIT: I'm completely against negative rep. I think that goes against the nature of this place, which is all about positive feedback, constructive criticism, and honest appreciation of work]

Wingshaw
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 03-16-2020 at 04:52 AM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I don't think it IS possible for the average user to do a -rep, maybe it appears as so for the CLs who may be unaware of differences in permissions between groups for things that aren't really "administrator back end".

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

It might just have been a misunderstanding of mine, since I usually expect different possible options when I see a radio button. Maybe it was initially meant to work like just the thread rating, with giving more or less rep but never negative ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I don't think it IS possible for the average user to do a -rep, maybe it appears as so for the CLs who may be unaware of differences in permissions between groups for things that aren't really "administrator back end".
    Yeah, as the latest one to join ranks, I can confirm that there is a "I disapprove" option in the repping screen that only became available to me once I was bumped to CL. I was not even aware that this existed, and I really would not endorse the use of negative reputation on the Guild. As we are lucky enough to have an extremely civil and polite community here, it's really not needed.

But in general, I do like the repping system, as I've said before. Silly as it may be, it always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I get repped. I would vote for drastically decreasing the amount of rep one person gives out - I think my own rep power is somewhere along 200 by now and that feels a little ridiculous, which is to say nothing of the folks dishing out 700-800 in one go.

Is it even necessary to have the amount you give out reflect what you have? I'd be perfectly happy if everyone gave out the same amount regarless their own score.
    I might go as far as to suggest we completely reset everyone's score to 0 and let people start again, although I undestand if this would ruffle some feathers.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Resetting the score when adjusting the system seems like the most clean solution to me. Maybe a separate poll could be started about that question.

(my avatar, who completely coincidentally reacted quite happy to that rep display above, might be irritated, but that's fine )
    Last edited by Yrda; 03-16-2020 at 07:15 AM.

I have to agree with what has been said already.

I never really understood how the point system work with rep, I use it more as a "I really like what you did" kind of thing. I wouldn't mind if it is converted into a simpler thing.

Also, I think being able to send a message alongside the rep is great and should remain, it feel less hollow that way than a simple like button. Negative rep is a big no no for me, that's a one way ticket to a toxic community.

Lastly, I don't think it would be fair to do a full reset, specially for the members that have been here for multiple years.

In case a new point system is considered, my suggestion would be to divide the current points of the members into multiples tiers, for example 0-1000 tier 1, 1001-5000 tier 2 etc... and translate that into the new rep system.

Also, while we are talking about rep, am I the only one who is seriously annoyed at how the maxed out reputation bar doesn't align with the maximum avatar size? This little gap here is driving me insane!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	120902

(sorry, I had to... )
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yrda View Post
    Resetting the score when adjusting the system seems like the most clean solution to me.
    Same. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    […] sometimes I'm in the mood to write a positive comment or feedback, and sometimes I only have the time to click that little "Rep" button.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    am I the only one who is seriously annoyed at how the maxed out reputation bar doesn't align with the maximum avatar size?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT. :D
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast