Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn Cwper View Post
    …do you use a ruler?
    Yes! At least, on this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200407_202518.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	121465

I put some light parallel lines in pencil, about 1/4" apart. That was just to give myself a guideline to keep the lines parallel. On my last map, my hatch lines kind of wandered around. For this one, I thought I would try something more precise - and, hey, I have the time now!

I was even more precise with the diagonal hatching. The picture above shows my drafting triangle - I used that to put down pencil lines, this time moving the triangle 1/16" over after each line. Then I flipped the triangle over to the other angle and repeated. Finally, ink.

…that's a 1.6mm precision. Are you human? =D
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

I'm really liking the coastline. Tedious, I'm sure, but it looks amazing.

I don't think that will be the last tedious hatching job (something has got to be coming around the border...) but the coastline is done now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenwoldCounty200412.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	121605

I'm now trying to decide what to do with the largely empty space in the center of the map (and other surrounding areas). I'm looking at circa 1870s maps like this one, which is covered in small town and place names but not many physical features; this one, which highlights a lot of foliage; or this one, which largely leaves the space blank.

I sort of lean in the direction of human landmarks. I want Renwold County to be a sort of American old-west type locale, so it's not going to be densely populated. But I can come up with plenty of names for homesteads, small towns, or landmarks to place around the map. Foliage doesn't seem like it's setting-appropriate, though I might include some in a few locations primarily around Castell and Hawton. The Pennsylvania map might have a good foliage style for that.

Any opinions?

*All opinion ahead*

I personally agree that the amount of foliage on the map of Mecklenburg County is a bit much for this map, but you could include some like you said. My taste would lean towards the idea of landmarks, especially for an old-west feel, since traveling and long distances between sizeable towns would be more of the norm. Is this county more densely populated or more rural? Depending on what you are going for, you could have a less populated space with mainly landmarks, well-known farms/ranches, churches/religious sites/missions, and a few small towns. Or you could have a more heavily populated space with mainly small towns, a few homesteads, and a smattering of landmarks.

I thought about maps like this one when you mentioned landmarks and specifically human landmarks (the eastern part of the states, in particular): https://mapgeeks.org/wp-content/uplo...Washington.jpg // it depicts some forts and camps along with smaller towns and labels of land formations. I think Umatilla county in Oregon or Ferguson county in Washington may give the best idea of what I was thinking about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12