Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renwold County

Default Renwold County

Starting an isolation map! This time I broke out a drafting triangle and have been measuring all the hatching carefully. That Appalachian-style mountain range took a little while!

I'm going for a Victorian/Old West/steampunk sort of feel.

One thing I am having trouble with is the town in the middle - the one built descending into a pit in the ground. Ever since I read Edgedancer, I've had that image in my mind. However, I can't decide if it really fits in with this map. I'm considering erasing it entirely.

I'll ink this with a dip pen and then color it in pencil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenwoldCounty200320.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	120959

I've started inking, so here's a picture to give you a better idea of where I'm going.

Name:	IMG_20200323_220648.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	121121

Update - lots of inking done! I need to think about what to do in the water on the coasts. I might try horizontal hatching there.

The other thing I still have up in the air is what I'm doing in the open spaces. I don't think I want to draw individual trees, and looking at similar era/style maps on the internet, forests are not usually indicated.

Name:	RenwoldCounty200403.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	121343

Edit: I have no idea why the preview appears sideways, but when I click on it, it appears with the correct orientation.

The town in the pit sounds awesome and is a cool idea (I'm going to go read Edgedancer since you mentioned it), but I'm not sure if it fits in with the rest of the map you've done so far. The mountains are absolutely gorgeous and the line work all around is so clean it makes me smile

For the ocean/coasts I remembered looking at this the other day, might serve as some inspiration, but it may just add too many lines to the map and muddle things a bit: https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/litbookarts_gallery/289/

Sooo clean! Can't wait to see what will come of this.
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    For the ocean/coasts I remembered looking at this the other day, might serve as some inspiration, but it may just add too many lines to the map and muddle things a bit: https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/litbookarts_gallery/289/
    That's exactly the sort of style I was thinking! I can use my superfine nib and put light horizontal hatching around the coasts. Thanks for the example - I like the way the coastline hatching on that map in particular shades out to a ragged edge the farther it gets from shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn Cwper View Post
    Sooo clean! Can't wait to see what will come of this.
    Thanks! I am trying to be extra careful with how I align and space all the lines on this one.

Hoo boy! You weren't kidding when you said "superfine nib." Those look great

The effect of the dots and spacing along with the zig-zag edge looks really cool too!
    Last edited by Hermit; 04-05-2020 at 07:02 PM.

GOOGLY MOOGLY I LOVE YOUR LINEWORK.

Really nicely done.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

…do you use a ruler?
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast