Thread: Greetings, Guild members

Default Greetings, Guild members

Hi everyone, I'm Marko and I come from Bosnia and Herzegovina. I'm 27, working as graphic designer, and a bit of lore nerd. I love reading, especially fantasy books, and you all know that you can't have a good fantasy book without a map. I was always the one who read books and then turn pages to see where the location in book was on maps, and what's in surrounding area. I would even print out maps so I have less trouble following the books. Also, the games I played would always be better experience if they had map.

So it was a bit of a weird thing to like, and not much info was around, so I snooped around the interwebz and discovered this forum. Hopefully I will have a great time here, learn a lot, and maybe even share some knowledge if I have any. Looking forward to future talks, discussions with you.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the Guild, kubreeq!

What are your favorite fantasy books? And which map of these is your favorite? Have you already drawn your own maps, for games or books maybe which didn't have a map?

Hi Yrda,

thanks for a warm welcome. Aside from classics like LOTR, I really enjoyed the maps for The Warlord Chronicles from Bernard Cornwell, which takes place in Britain and it featured a handrawn map, Mistborn trilogy from Sanderson (map was featured inside a circle; not sure what the cartographer term for that) and maps from The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. Another weird one that I liked was from Metro 2033 book, which was a map of stations inside Moscow Metro. It's not fantasy map, but it really felt weird to me for some reason and left a quite an impact on me.

Favourite books: depends really on genre. I'm a huge fan of Russian literature, Tolstoj, and Dostojevski, I loved The Count of Monte Christo from Dumas, LOTR will always be quite a read, especially now that I read the english version, which is like a whole different world for me, Sapkowski Witcher series (loved that it uses slavic mythical creatures, which are mentioned in my culture as well, and all the moral dillemas that Geralt goes through), Mistborn was an interesting read as well.

As far as drawing map goes, I never really tried to do it, but what kind of compelled me to seek out information, and this forum, is my imagination. I always make stuff up in my mind especially location related stuff, so I thought it would be a nice change of pace from my usual work, and it would help out a bit to put some ideas on the paper so to speak.