Thread: The Arbiterate

Default The Arbiterate

A map for a novel I'm writing. I'd made previous versions, but they were garbage. Used Wonderdraft this time. I think I went a bit overboard. I added in a detail map for a city important to the plot, though the two styles are kind of jarring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Palaióra.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	6.93 MB 
ID:	121133  
    Last edited by Coinneas; 03-26-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

It looks really good but there is a rather big different between the city and land styles there.

I like how the map seems to have some natural regions which are quite distinct. Makes it very readable.

I personally do not mind the difference between the city and land style - it does look like it could be from the same maker. I guess the main thing to mention is that the city looks very neat and organized, whereas the landmass looks very wild in comparison. But maybe that's a theme of the novel (nature vs culture)?

That is a pretty nice map! Your Wonderdraft skills are much better than mine (and you got as many answers as i got overall in much shorter time)! I like it a lot! And I also don't mind the difference between the city and the land styles. I quite like the fact that you have added that city to the map. I think it adds to the flavor and the implied depth of your setting with just that one addition. But maybe that's just me ^^
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by PorkStewJoe View Post
    I like how the map seems to have some natural regions which are quite distinct. Makes it very readable.

I personally do not mind the difference between the city and land style - it does look like it could be from the same maker. I guess the main thing to mention is that the city looks very neat and organized, whereas the landmass looks very wild in comparison. But maybe that's a theme of the novel (nature vs culture)?
    It probably has more to do with the fact that the inhabitants aren't human and don't clear much land for plant agriculture except to feed their livestock. So they have humanlike cities (ish) in forests with a lot of tree cover. I couldn't really find a way to represent forested pastures on the map without making it look fugly, but most of the map is at least lightly populated, especially the woodlands.