Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sea of the 6 kingdoms

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map The sea of the 6 kingdoms

Another map of Nossym's world... This time, it is more a political map, of a region where several chapters of a history still to be written are taking place.

It's a map I made to distract myself... I didn't really give myself a goal or an objective, I just let myself draw as I felt at the time. I've been drawing in my spare time on the iPad... so it's not really consistent in terms of style...

The only thing I wanted to try is to find an idea for a frame that is a little bit particular, related to the theme of the map and that is also attractive to the eyes.

As usual, I think I overdid it a bit and it's a bit "heavy"... In the end, maybe this is the word that could define my style ?

Mostly made on ipad, and PS for labelling and shadows (I still can't find a satisfactory way to draw shadows with the app Procreate...)

Don't hesitate to critic and comment !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mer des 6 royaumes guilde.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	121203

There's a lot to love here, but my favorite is the border. It is both beautiful and very unusual.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Love the mountain and forest combination as normal. And that is a very unique border! Not sure I have seen that before but I assume it is emphasizing the water which connects all the regions?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    There's a lot to love here, but my favorite is the border. It is both beautiful and very unusual.
    Thanks a lot, Rdanhenry ! I'm glad you like it... I'm afraid it's a bit "too much"...

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Love the mountain and forest combination as normal. And that is a very unique border! Not sure I have seen that before but I assume it is emphasizing the water which connects all the regions?
    Yep... that was the idea... I wanted to draw a map from this sea, but I found myself with a big empty place in the middle of the map, so I tried to make it alive with the compass, rhumb lines and little pictures of monsters, and I tried to (over)load the space around (labels, coat of arms, border...). As it's a map of a sea, it seemed appropriate to draw a bordure regarding the theme of the map... Anyway, I'm very glad you liked it ! Thanks for your comment !

Great map! The frame is very original (and that galleon is splendid!!).
    I also love the many creatures on the map, and of course, your unmistakable cities .

Thanks a lot, Ilanthar ! I'm glad you like this frame... a bit new for me...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

The map border is a piece of art!

Will have to echo the esteemed Ilanthar, the little illustrations continue to be an absolute treat. I always enjoy these Nossym maps, I like how you've managed to create a very uniform look for the series. The compass rose and the subtle patterns surrounding the cities are a fantastic touch! I'm maybe not completely sold on the wave pattern surrounding the coasts, I don't think it completely suits the overall look, but it's by no means a big issue.

Great stuff, keep 'em coming!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    The map border is a piece of art!
    Thanks a lot ! I'm glad you liked it !

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Will have to echo the esteemed Ilanthar, the little illustrations continue to be an absolute treat. I always enjoy these Nossym maps, I like how you've managed to create a very uniform look for the series. The compass rose and the subtle patterns surrounding the cities are a fantastic touch! I'm maybe not completely sold on the wave pattern surrounding the coasts, I don't think it completely suits the overall look, but it's by no means a big issue.

Great stuff, keep 'em coming!
    Thanks for your comment, Kell ! I'm glad you took time to write a few words... And glad too that you liked the map !
    I'm with you for the border... I'm still searching ways to draw a nice border, with illustrative elements, but without beeing "too much"...
    Still haven't found (what I'm looking for...) ;D
    But I'll keep trying !

edit : sorry ! I misread your comment... The wave pattern along the coast, not around the map (silly me...) It's funny, because it's something new I tried because I read a post of yours, describing how you're drawing the sea near the coast (I think it was for your Guild World map ?) I know you don't use pattern, but you're doing a subtle mix of several layers, and I wanted to try a kind of mixed layers too.. There again, I'll keep trying...
    Last edited by - JO -; 04-06-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Really nice, and I agree the framing is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast