Thread: How do you turn this on?

Post How do you turn this on?

Hi everyone,

I'm a Greek living in Manchester, UK. Civil engineer and catastrophe risk analyst by trade, long time fantasy and RPG enthusiast, as well as history and geography enthusiast.
    The reason I began doing some world building lies with my son, who is now on the way to be born this coming July. I wanted to create a world were we can create characters and make stories for our enjoyment and brain stimulation. So, I started looking for resources to help me draw a map of such a world. Very soon I realised that there is a global community of people interested in world-building and fantasy map-making, for which I feel great. I am looking forward to sharing thoughts and ideas with anyone interested.
    The main fantasy worlds that I've experienced in detail are Tolkien's works, Warcraft and the Forgotten Realms. I have spent innumerable time exploring these universes and reading the relevant books and playing the games. I have also gone in depth into other fantasy book series and RPG's that have rounded my tastes and opened my up to a vast library of ideas.
    All I want is to share my creations with you for review and criticism and... who knows? Maybe, we can come together and meet up for a session, either IRL or online.

Greeting to all,

Spyridon

Welcome to the guild. Looking forward to see your work.

Welcome Spyridon! It seems we enjoyed the same fantasy worlds .
    It is great you are preparing a world for your son and of course you are in the right place for getting help with mapping it!

If you already started to map something, just post it in the WIP section and I'm sure you will get feedback soon and of course helpful ideas, comments and answers, if you have questions concering your mapping.

Thank you for your support, guys! I will post my first take on a world as well as an individual island, that I did to play around with different styles of mountains, forests, settlements, etc. See you all at the WIP section and I'm looking forward to your comments!

Welcome to the Guild! There is definitely a lot of like-minded people to share with here

I look forward to seeing you around

- Josh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome spyridon, to The Guild The Mappiest Place on the Web.

As has been suggested, please show us what you got

I love the idea of making a world for you to share with soon-to-be newcomer. Seeing as it will be a while before he can roll dice with intent, might I suggest that you start coming up with stories that take place in this world. This way he can literally grow up with the world and I believe would enhance his enjoyment of being able to join in on the adventures of the places and people that he had heard of for his entire life.

I wish you much enjoyment and many a fun tale to spin in the future.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

That's exactly what I was thinking! I am creating some stories as I go along and hopefully it'll be much more developed by the time he'll be able to participate.
    I uploaded my first map on the Regional mapping section (Iridia & Danais). Let's see how it goes.
    I am also developing a couple of story sequences. We'll see how it goes.