Thread: The Village of Harvess

Default The Village of Harvess

I'm back with another map of my ongoing world building project.

"Harvess is a small village in the Archduchy of Sovar located in the Gynardan Mountains. The village itself is of little importance, a minor stop along the road. What makes it interesting for travellers is the tower around which the village is build.

The Mage Tower of Harvess is a small school that specializes in training wizards. It was founded by Varakh Markand some 500 years ago. Varakh was one of the mightiest wizards of his time and build the tower as a home and place to teach his children in the ways of magic. His son Dorros followed in his father's footsteps and continued teaching magic, not only to his kin, but any who sought to learn.

Over the years the Mage Tower has known many highs and lows. Some students turns to the evil ways of necromancy in hopes to gain immortality, others rose to become powerful servants of the realm, advising the king himself and defeating kingdom's greatest enemies.

These days anyone who wishes to learn the ways of magic seeks out the tower, but to be taken in one must show great potential."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harvess Free small.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	5.96 MB 
ID:	121260

If you're interested you can find more on my Patreon.

As always, let me know what you think!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Look's like a nice old village. Are there multiple layers to it? Some of the bridges seem to cross the canyon at lower altitudes than others and have no continuing paths. If that is the case it is a really nice touch and makes the place much more complex! Really nice color choices as well!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Like Arimel said : the place looks complex ! A very special and interesting village !
    And as usually : I love your style...
    Thanks for sharing !

I've really enjoyed your city maps lately. You seem to have come up with a new style of shading and colouring, and it looks amazing. Great stuff!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Blog Entries

Yeah I am loving that shading too. I like the bit where the stairs go up and the shadow forms a visual of how high the wall is because the shadows extend the the correct amount. Thats very cool and immediately gives a great sense of 3D to it. Reminds me of the frencg B.Ds and Asterix artwork.

I really like your style: the color are gentle and warm, and the different levels give a sense of depth and intricacy that makes me want to wander along those paths... Also the light frame for the landmarks is very elegant and sober, I like that.

Great map, Daniel! Very nice layout and the whole thing is very pleasing to the eye.
    That mage tower also seems to be a safe passage to the highest point.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Another great piece of art!

Great village, love the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Look's like a nice old village. Are there multiple layers to it? Some of the bridges seem to cross the canyon at lower altitudes than others and have no continuing paths. If that is the case it is a really nice touch and makes the place much more complex! Really nice color choices as well!
    Thank you! Yeah, some of the bridges are actually connected to caves in the cliffs, so they seem to end nowhere. Underneath the village is a large network of caves.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Like Arimel said : the place looks complex ! A very special and interesting village !
    And as usually : I love your style...
    Thanks for sharing !
    Thank you Jo! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I've really enjoyed your city maps lately. You seem to have come up with a new style of shading and colouring, and it looks amazing. Great stuff!
    Thank Kell! Yeah, I don't think that I so much came up with a new style, but I'm definitely getting more comfortable and fluent with my old one. Or maybe this is a new style and I just haven't noticed it myself ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Yeah I am loving that shading too. I like the bit where the stairs go up and the shadow forms a visual of how high the wall is because the shadows extend the the correct amount. Thats very cool and immediately gives a great sense of 3D to it. Reminds me of the frencg B.Ds and Asterix artwork.
    Thanks Redrobes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadiouka View Post
    I really like your style: the color are gentle and warm, and the different levels give a sense of depth and intricacy that makes me want to wander along those paths... Also the light frame for the landmarks is very elegant and sober, I like that.
    Thank you Gadiouka, glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map, Daniel! Very nice layout and the whole thing is very pleasing to the eye.
    That mage tower also seems to be a safe passage to the highest point.
    Thank you Ilanthar! Yeah, the tower is indeed the safest way up and many people probably use it. I have fear of heights myself and I wouldn't like walking that little serpentine road...

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    Another great piece of art!
    Thanks Mateus! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great village, love the style.
    Thank you Bogie!