Thread: Greetings from a geologist

Post Greetings from a geologist

Hello everybody! hope you are all well in these troubling times.

Let me introduce myself, I have been interested in map making and worldbuilding for as long as I can remember and have dabbled in basic planet building. I completed a degree in geology about 5 years ago and am now working as a geologist and Environmental Engineer for a civil engineering company. I generally make geological maps for commercial companies. I did my dissertation reconstructing the palaeogeography of the Pennines in the UK which, involved climbing up and down mountains making notes and then drawing what I thought the geography was like during different time periods causing different landforms and rocks to occur.

Now i have a little bit of extra time on my hands I have taken to inventing planets and making them as realistic as possible based on the characteristics I give the planet.

I have browsed through the forums for a while now and noticed there are an abundance of questions about environmental factors e.g. ocean currents, wind patterns, plate tectonics. I wondered if people would be interested in tutorials/guides into how different environmental factors would affect their worlds.

Looking forward to your responses,
    ZechGeo

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild.

Quote Originally Posted by ZechGeo View Post
    I wondered if people would be interested in tutorials/guides into how different environmental factors would affect their worlds.
    Sure would !

We used to have a lot of questions about rivers and I gathered up a lot of the information into one place here:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=3822

If you have anything to add to that then it would be most welcome too.

Thanks Redrobes,

I will have a look through and see if there is anything missing.

Hi Zech, welcome, I look forward to gathering as much insight from your knowledge, I'll eagerly look out for your tutorials! I would certainly love to know more about sinkholes and aquifers because one of the d&d campaigns I master is based in Sschindylryn, an underground city in an aquifer beneath the forest of Cormyr (Lost Realms Setting)

P.S do you role play?

Hi TurtleSoup, I hope I can can help some people out, I just need to make sure I make the content educational but engaging without being too sciencey.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleSoup View Post
    I would certainly love to know more about sinkholes and aquifers because one of the d&d campaigns I master is based in Sschindylryn, an underground city in an aquifer beneath the forest of Cormyr (Lost Realms Setting)
    You're very much in luck as one of my specialties is dissolvable rocks and sinkholes. If it is something you would be interested in I can pull out some photographs of gypsum samples we've taken from drilling and show you what underground dissolution looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleSoup View Post
    P.S do you role play?
    I prefer more open world games like Skyrim and just enjoy making maps in general. I know next to nothing about tabletop games i'm afraid.

Hi Zech! I'm just beginning to plan the geological map of my world... XD
    You think you can give me some advices?

Thanks for your time!