Thread: Helicarrier Pericles II - Cross-Section

Guild Apprentice

Wip Helicarrier Pericles II - Cross-Section

I'm not sure that I'd call this done. I was inspired by the work of Eliot Brown on the older editions of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, by the user interface design work of Jayce Hansen and his colleages on the first MCU Avengers movie, the earlier comics designs of the SHIELD Helicarrers as shown in Strange Tales in the 1960's, and a few other things. What you see is as far as I've gotten given the assumption of such ships being as long as your average Nimitz-class CVN.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26443191436_4105360eb0_b.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	121446

If you want to look at how I got there: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwight...57650276533921

I wish it was just a little bit bigger, the smallest text is challenging to read and the lines begin to blur together a bit. I do like the overall idea and outcome, the language buttons on the side are an interesting design inclusion.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Apprentice

First, I apologize for the legibility problems. First time I've ever posted a link between Flickr and here, let alone linked any kinds of graphics.

Second, I was influenced by aspects of SHIELD's comics continuity with the language-option buttons. SHIELD's roster of known agents, officers, technical staffers, etc. has long been multinational, and the organization has bounced back and forth between being depicted as either a US agency and a UN Security Council-affiliated organization. It seemed wise either way to allow for people working on the Helicarriers to work in whatever language(s) suited them wherever possible.

Let me see how I can remedy the legibility issue.

Pericles-MSD-Prototype-4-V by Dwight Williams, on Flickr

Guild Apprentice

That's better. I'd forgotten that BBCode embedding was an option at Flickr's end of things.

One thing I'm hoping to do next is to work up the layout of just one deck. I've found reference material for actual pre-nuclear-power aircraft carriers, and of course all that Star Trek stuff from across the decades can serve as an inspiration as well to figure out what should be next.