Thread: Random Forests

Default Random Forests

Re-posting here, just for a thread of its very own. After tinkering with Blender for a 3D map, and Photoshop for a brush-based map, I wondered; Can you put these two approaches together? And then I ran across this, How to fake a forest in Blender, a two-part tutorial.

This uses Blender's 'particle system' in a way where a single 2D tree tree image (or a variety of trees) can be duplicated and scattered with various sizes across your map. You can paint with brush tools to define forest areas, or modify the density of trees, and ultimately fine-tune with individual edits.

Manually duplicating a few trees
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees_particle.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	309.6 KB 
ID:	121482

Applying the particle system. Look at the little tiny trees!

Name:	Blender_paper_plane.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	121483

Attempting some paper texture displacement. (following How to make a procedural paper texture)

Name:	Blender_paper_texture_terrain_zoom.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	121481

Ramping up to 8,000 trees

Name:	Blender_Map_forest_8k_zoom.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	489.8 KB 
ID:	121480

The full area. Trying to carve a path through the woods. There's probably a less-is-more lesson in here somewhere, but I don't want to hear it yet, I'm having fun

Name:	Blender_Map_forest_8k.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	121479

To be continued... So far, this was done with one tree from the Widman Brush set from KMAlexander (thanks again, for all of these), and there's a bunch more to explore.

Name:	Trees.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	121478

Remains to be seen is if the '2.5D' illusion works for all the other kinds of map elements (individual structures, settlements, etc.)? But for now, it's been fun to try cultivating some forests from the trees. I'm curious as to what folks think. It seems to look good at certain scales. Bit heavy on the shadows? Need more definite boundaries? Can this open up entirely new realms of forest-creating tedium?

and thanks Tiana for your feedback! This could become a tutorial to share what seems to work

This is really cool and very interesting!

The paper texture displacement adds a lot to the effect of the forests. As a test of this process I think this is a success, but I would be interested in seeing if there is a way to get a bit more definition on the edges of the tree shapes, but keeping the shadows somewhat blurred. It seems that when the trees are by themselves or more sparse they maintain a more defined edge, but when they get more dense they seem to blur out a bit, although this may just be my eyes not being able to pick up the detail when there are more trees.

As far as the other map elements go, in the last image you have the cliff and keep/castle, which I think is effective, but definitely discernible as 2D still. That said, I like the way it looks and it may just be a different style of using the 2D elements. Sort of like a pop-out map instead of isometric.

Just as a final thought, the forests you made really remind me of Age of Empires I style rendering. I always thought that style was cool and you seem to have replicated it in a black & white/sepia tone.

Also, I would definitely be interested in a tutorial of what you figured out.

Cool- thanks for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    ...I would be interested in seeing if there is a way to get a bit more definition on the edges of the tree shapes, but keeping the shadows somewhat blurred. It seems that when the trees are by themselves or more sparse they maintain a more defined edge, but when they get more dense they seem to blur out a bit, although this may just be my eyes not being able to pick up the detail when there are more trees.
    Yes, I think you're right in that as the trees stack up and overlap there's less definition. Partly, this initial tree illustration itself has a heavy shadow side, but there may still be some ways to make sure they don't get lost, while keeping the atmosphere of the gathering shadows.

Sort of like a pop-out map instead of isometric.
    Yes a pop-out map is a good way to describe it! And this would hint more towards a 'paper' map, with a particular style. The map is not the territory, after all, I keep telling myself, though it is interesting to play with that relation. What happens if someone walks by and folds up this map, do the inhabitants see 'Inception' happening before their eyes? Ok no the pop-up map would flatten back out and no one is horribly crushed. phew.

Just as a final thought, the forests you made really remind me of Age of Empires I style rendering. I always thought that style was cool and you seem to have replicated it in a black & white/sepia tone.
    Its funny you mention Age of Empires, I think that is part of the draw towards this style for me, rooted in the many countless hours of classic RTS games C&C, Red Alert, AOE, Stronghold, oh and Lord of the Realms II. They all had this perspective view, with large scrolling maps to reveal and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    It seems that when the trees are by themselves or more sparse they maintain a more defined edge, but when they get more dense they seem to blur out a bit, although this may just be my eyes not being able to pick up the detail when there are more trees.
    I still see definition, so it might in fact be your eyes. I have 20/20 vision.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Rwhyte View Post
    Ok no the pop-up map would flatten back out and no one is horribly crushed. phew.
    Haha the one benefit of being truly 2D is that you don't get crushed.

One of the things that excited me about seeing this was indeed the huge, scrolling perspective from those RTS games. This could be a lot of fun to play with and maybe create something similar to those, but it would allow you to play with the style and color of the maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I still see definition, so it might in fact be your eyes. I have 20/20 vision.
    You are probably right that it is my eyes. I am quite blind without glasses and have some issues with focus in one eye that can blur detail when it's closely packed together, which is why I said it might just be me not seeing it.
    Last edited by Hermit; 04-10-2020 at 10:41 AM.

It's looking pretty cool!

Hey Thanks!! this is all very encouraging!

Forging on this week, now there are two trees, similar, but scattered for a bit of variety. Eventually, this can include different species for a mixed woodland effect? or for distinct forest types. Also, tried out Blender's A.N.T (Another Noise Tool) Landscape Add-on. This can generate patches of terrain, but difficult I think to create larger interconnected landscapes (composed of multiple terrain types). We'll see.

Name:	Mountain forest7.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	121889

Detail area

Name:	Mountain forest7_detail.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	524.9 KB 
ID:	121891

Relating the trees and the landscape, what was interesting is the landscape tool calculates a set of weight layers for factors like terrain steepness, curvature, water flow, or sediment deposition. These weights are used for some built-in erosion effects, but, can also be used (as starting point, at least) for placing trees (eg place trees on steeper slopes, or nearer to water-courses, etc). These trees still seem to want to expand beyond their initial areas. Need to figure out these painting tools, or enlist the aid of some kindly tree-herders.

Here's the landscape 'capacity' layer, calculated from the terrain. Not a lot of documentation on this, but it looks like sediment transport capacity?

Name:	Landscape_Weight.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	121892
    Last edited by Rwhyte; 04-19-2020 at 10:19 PM.