Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: World of Curunir

Quote Originally Posted by SikSavant View Post
    If needed I can post my attempts and then ask direct questions regarding the tutorial instructions, if that would work better. Anyway, love the style, hope folks can help, and happy mapping!
    Just start up your own WIP thread and post up what you have and where you get stuck. Someone should come along and give you a hand

-Rob A>

One way to avoid the fish bone look is to use brush that is wide enough and to lower the opacity and then paint many times over each area. This way you slowly start to get the right look and can easily paint more to areas needing attention. But even all that said, I agree what RobA wrote to start a new WIP so we can assist and marvel your creation.

New mountain range forming up, but it still needs work. I will continue by adding forest and other stuff and finalize the mountains later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoC_5.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	11480  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I'm loving your maps, here, pasis. Simply great.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

How do I go about purchasing a vacation home in the city by the lake in the southern half of the map? In other words, I love it and enjoy seeing you progress.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Progressing in the speed of light (at least comparing to my normal progress speed ). Next is to work on the islands, add civilization and more details, more details and some more details.

Name:	WoC_6.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	11520  

Nice work pasis

This next critique isn't about your map, but rather about other people. So don't get offended

What I really would like to see people using your tutorial as a basis for their maps, but with a twist of originality . I don't know if I should call it a problem or not, but somehow people are stuck in using the same textures that were presented on the original tutorial. Also the mountains seem to be quite the same style as you have represented here. The so called fish-bone (considering the mountains) problem is quite usual, and what I would like to see, is mountains with a bit different texture and different form. It might seem like nagging to many, but when people use 1:1 techniques to produce results that I can't really tell apart from the original, I suggest you to give inspiration to people, so they realize there is a much potential in this style to transform it to a multitude of other styles that cannot be directly linked to the original one.

I won't get offended, don't worry...
    I would assume that when people get more familiar with the this technique they get more confident and start implementing new textures and tricks.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by pasis View Post
    I won't get offended, don't worry...
    I would assume that when people get more familiar with the this technique they get more confident and start implementing new textures and tricks.
    You know... I have the opposite reaction. I have to say that I think this technique you've developed here is much better than what you originally used in the map you got featured, and that of course was a good map. I think the rest of us get better by learning from those who develop these good styles, building the skills that allow us to improve and pioneer our own styles as well.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I'm starting to get this finalized shortly. I still need to add final touches to the lakes and rivers and maybe some other details, but not too much anymore.

The next question is whether I should add labels here (cities, mountains, rivers etc.) or not?

Name:	WoC_7.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	11583  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast