Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: World of Curunir

Stunning textures, Pasis.....just stunning. I'd like to see it with labels, I think they'd look great. Sadly can't rep you as I have to spread the love around a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    Nice work pasis

This next critique isn't about your map, but rather about other people. So don't get offended

What I really would like to see people using your tutorial as a basis for their maps, but with a twist of originality . I don't know if I should call it a problem or not, but somehow people are stuck in using the same textures that were presented on the original tutorial. Also the mountains seem to be quite the same style as you have represented here. The so called fish-bone (considering the mountains) problem is quite usual, and what I would like to see, is mountains with a bit different texture and different form. It might seem like nagging to many, but when people use 1:1 techniques to produce results that I can't really tell apart from the original, I suggest you to give inspiration to people, so they realize there is a much potential in this style to transform it to a multitude of other styles that cannot be directly linked to the original one.
    I think it's great that other people can replicate the style of the map exactly. What I've seen with tutorials here is that once they are confident they can do that, they then start bringing in their own little variations. Many people (me included) combine styles of various tuts with some orignal input too.

I think this is how the artists of old were taught: learn how to copy the masters (and Pasis is definitely one!) and then move onto your own original styles.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well spoken Ravs, I agree.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I have been playing around creating Compass and scale indicator for my map. I wanted them to be kind of 3-D on top of the map.

I wanted the name of the map and the scale indicator to be made from a slightly torn wood where fibers are clearly visible. The text is written by burning the wood with hot metal...or I mean that is what I want it to look like... I still need to make the wood look older, but other vice it looks good already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoC_8a.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	11640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoC_8b.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	11641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoC_8c.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	11642  

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Regarding the compass... does the pointer mean north on the map, or does the compass body alignment mean north on the map?

-Rob A>
    I was so into drawing these that I didn't think of that at all...LOL...
    The north is where the compass body shows and the pointer just indicates the direction of this map on a table...yeah that's the way it is then...

This map will be a piece of art when it is complete. It should be a featured map!

This map will be a piece of art when it is complete. It should be a featured map!
    Seconded. It's already blown my mind.

I finalized the look of the map logo and now it looks more torn and stained and I'm happy with it now.

I only have few names to add before I call this finished. But actually I have also been tweaking my forest here and I now have to choose which one to use. The left one is the original and the right one is the tweaked one where I extended the trees so that they look more individual trees now. The problem with that one is that in this scale you couldn't really see the individual trees, so let me know if you feel that the tweaked trees are in conflict with the rest of the map or if they are good despite of the reality aspect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest_original.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	11669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest_tweaked.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	11670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoC_8d.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	11671  

i like the original more than the tweaked one. Somehow it looks a bit better.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast