Thread: Duckburg city map - WIP

Question Duckburg city map - WIP

Hi, I'm new on this forum; some years ago I've drawed a map of Duckburg in Italian; in this days I've redrawed this map to make corrections and rewrite all labels in English. I'm not very good at English, and I have some questions:

1) I've placed "north side", east end" and "south end"; do you think are corrects with this city structure? Or is better "south side"?
    2) Port or Harbour? On left we have an historical old style port, with wood docks (if is the correct word), on right we have a big port, for merchant ships.
    3) What do you think about labels style? I've used a modern graphic GPS style

Thank you for helps , and I'm sorry for my English, I didn't have the opportunity to study that in school

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DuckburgMed.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	121810
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duckburg.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	7.22 MB 
ID:	121809  

I like the labels you chose. It gives the map a definite modern, GPS mapping style and I think it fits with the clean style you drew the map in. And don't apologize about the English, the Guild is made up of people from all over the world and everyone is welcome

A couple, hopefully helpful, answer to your questions:

Since you labeled your water "Pacific Ocean" I would say that your labels for the directions (i.e. "north side," "east end," and "south end") fit with the orientation you depicted. For the "end" vs. "side" choice, I would just be consistent. I tend to notice that a location or city chooses to use one word or the other, but I rarely see both in one place (at least in the United States).

On the "port" or "harbour/harbor" question: a "harbour" is generally used for the sheltering of ships during bad weather or rough seas and is a natural or man-made area for the safe anchoring of a sea-going vessel, on the other hand, a "port" is a commercial docking area used for the import/export of goods and cargo but may not be a suitable location to anchor a ship. Although those are the general definitions, it gets a little tricky because a harbour can be a port, but a port can't be a harbour (most of the time). In the end, I would simply choose whichever word communicates the activities that happen at the location. This is my opinion, but I use "harbour" for anchoring of ships, safety, and mainly recreational boating, and I use "port" for commercial activity, shipping, and import/export.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I like the labels you chose. It gives the map a definite modern, GPS mapping style and I think it fits with the clean style you drew the map in. And don't apologize about the English, the Guild is made up of people from all over the world and everyone is welcome

A couple, hopefully helpful, answer to your questions:

Since you labeled your water "Pacific Ocean" I would say that your labels for the directions (i.e. "north side," "east end," and "south end") fit with the orientation you depicted. For the "end" vs. "side" choice, I would just be consistent. I tend to notice that a location or city chooses to use one word or the other, but I rarely see both in one place (at least in the United States).

On the "port" or "harbour/harbor" question: a "harbour" is generally used for the sheltering of ships during bad weather or rough seas and is a natural or man-made area for the safe anchoring of a sea-going vessel, on the other hand, a "port" is a commercial docking area used for the import/export of goods and cargo but may not be a suitable location to anchor a ship. Although those are the general definitions, it gets a little tricky because a harbour can be a port, but a port can't be a harbour (most of the time). In the end, I would simply choose whichever word communicates the activities that happen at the location. This is my opinion, but I use "harbour" for anchoring of ships, safety, and mainly recreational boating, and I use "port" for commercial activity, shipping, and import/export.
    Thank you for the help! I've changed "East End" and "South End" with "East Side" and "South Side"; for the "port" or "harbor", I've use the second for the south port, because that have the typically aspect of harbor
    (I took advantage of the situation to change some geographical aspects)

Name:	Duckburg.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	121967

New step. I've enlarged "cape quack" and added new locations: Opera House, Clara Cluck's house, Duckburg Fair and Margarine Factory.

Name:	DuckburgNEWSMALL.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	122093

Nice! I also think those tree designs fit well with the rest of the map

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Nice! I also think those tree designs fit well with the rest of the map
    Thank you, this map have a strange story. I've drawed a first version in 2015, in Italian, and Disney have stolen that and used for a story on "Topolino" (an Italian magazine); I've contacted the Disney, and only result was: "now your map is canon".
    Recently that story was published on USA and I've diced to restyle and improve this map.

Now I want create an geographic map of Duckburg's surround. I think the city map is complete, if nobody have other suggestion.
    I will also use this topic for the second map

I've added some docks on the end of river, changed some little city details and I've reduced size of labels

Name:	DuckburgScrittepiccole.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	122296

I've reworked completely the map, with new labels, new colors and new details. I didn't like the old version. This new version appears most professional and particularClick image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	7.01 MB 
ID:	123442