Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Brignogard, Capital of the Wallungian Empire - handdrawn and computer edited

Thanks for your feedbacks. That enriches the work and make it easier to carry on

@Veldrin : At this moment, I colorized the map by computer, just the "black" lines and symbols are drawn by hand.

@CTA: The big building is in fact a conglomeration of buildings, who were build wall to wall: In the North we have the secular Palace for the Great King, in the South we have the Brignogard Cathedral of Saint Bartho, the religious center, which shows the Great Kings and the Empires closeness and connection (let´s say congruence) to the church. I will try to do a little sketch to show that in a batter way (just for explanation). The other buildings in the west and east of this conglomeration are Premises of the royal court and retinue, the marshalry and the farm buildings of the court - even the Apartments of the family

@Robulous: Thank you for your commendation. And concerning the river loop: It´s just the idea, that at this place - according to the legends - some apparitions of saints took place in the past, but I agree, that it´s not automatically usefull and it does not justify high costs and the use of materials and working power...

@Bretton: Thank you very much for your comment

Today, I took the time to focus on the first smaller map (historically the first Settlement). I improved the coloring of the buildings, added some labelings and experimented with the coloring itself:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brigno Kopie 02.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	123391

And now something historically about the first century of Brignogard:

South of the Aeron River lived the norovian tribe of the Carnovents and in the north the tribe of the norovian Belgar. These otherwise well-minded tribes fought around the river island with its south bridge and northern river ford at regular intervals. The disputes culminated in a four-month war in the area of the later city, which severely weakened both tribes, making them vulnerable to attacks by third parties. It was finally the military leaders Brittan the Belgar and Wiltotan the Carnovent who negotiated a peace and asked the Brignogian tribe to take possession of the island, bridge and ford and to administer it neutrally. The Brignogians sent a good 350 fighters and a total of 1400 people in the pack, settled the island and started to build on and fortify it. The disputes were thus settled, and Belgar and Carnoventes now lived peacefully together and used the now neutral and protected crossing. The Brignogians shared the accrued River Crossing Fee with the two tribes, one third each. Small settlements of the two tribes formed in the north and south, but the settlement - now called Brignor - grew more and more and was also populated by Belgar and Carnoventes. Within two decades, Brignor became an important traffic and trading center, especially since the Brignogians expanded the natural harbor and also built a bridge to the north. Brignor also achieved religious importance with its hot spring of the gods and the hill of gods.

In the Year 215 the Ithylian Empire started its invasion on Norovian Territory.

The Norovian city reached its peak, when the ithylian invasion troups had already defeated the Carnovents south of the city. In the Year 220 two strong ithylian legions finally stood on the southern arm of the river. On the side of the Norovians there were probably 1,000 Carnovents, 2000 Brignogians and 3000 Belgar and entrenched themselves on the island. They had set the south bridge on fire in time, so that the Ithylians could initially be kept at a distance. The supply of the city was kept open from the north and so the crew defied the occupation and the fire and stone hail of the ithylian catapults for a good seven days. Finally, however, the second ithylian legion was able to cross over the Aeron River in the west of the city, so that in a handstroke the city was invaded from the north, and finally even from the south over the river. Of the 6,000 armed defenders, the siege had cost the lives of around 2,000 men, and a further 1,000 fighters died on the side of the Norovians whilst the battle.

The militarily superior Ithylian Army offered peace to the norovian tribes in the further course, if they would surrender and so further bloodshed was prevented. The completely destroyed city was subsequently inhabited by around 2,000 Norovians and was rebuilt using ithylian resources and city plannnings. Ithylian Konsul Maderus decided to rename Brignor into Colonia Pontem Brignurbis. The proportion of ithylian newcomers to the population grew very strongly during the years because the fourth ithylian Legion was permanently settled in Colonia Pontem Brignurbis.

it’s amazing how many amazing things are shared on this forum on a daily basis..! Nice city layout and the story makes it even more impressive.

I silently observe your city growing here for a while, Randig, but it's time to say how interesting this piece is
    It's a pleasure to see the details and close ups of the city, and I love how well thought it is. Great job !

Thank you so much, Dimension Door.

Thank you for your praise, Misty. Praise from such a well-deserved and talented person from our community is of course something very special and fills me with joy and pride.

I used the time today to optimise the second map.

Ithylic foreign rule has brought its ups and downs and large parts of the former Empire have got rid of the rule. The last ithylian prefect, Syagrio, dominated a remnant Empire, but his power waned more and more. In 488, the Wallungians finally conquered the city and made it an important imperial city that was to become the capital of the Wallungian Empire almost 300 years later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brigno Kopie2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	123743

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12