Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many mountains is too many? ^^;

I think "wouldn't it be cool if..." is a totally valid way to approach creating a map.

One thing to think about is who, in your world, is drawing this map, and how much do they know about the places they're mapping? A lot of things that might seem geomorphologically implausible if we assume high accuracy can make sense as a stylized way of representing something the mapmaker doesn't know much about. For example, the roundish blob of mountains in the southwest isn't something we see on the real earth -- mountains are usually in linear ranges -- but if all the mapmaker knew was that this land had mountains in the middle of it, that's a fair way to draw it. If this is for an RPG you can even work that into the campaign -- some areas may get "clarified" once the PCs actually go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Confutus View Post
    As it should. 8) Clearly resupplied with meltwater from those undoubtedly glacier-clad mountains to the north, keeping its water cold and fresh.
    Oh they are, it's very cold up there :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post
    I think "wouldn't it be cool if..." is a totally valid way to approach creating a map.

One thing to think about is who, in your world, is drawing this map, and how much do they know about the places they're mapping? A lot of things that might seem geomorphologically implausible if we assume high accuracy can make sense as a stylized way of representing something the mapmaker doesn't know much about. For example, the roundish blob of mountains in the southwest isn't something we see on the real earth -- mountains are usually in linear ranges -- but if all the mapmaker knew was that this land had mountains in the middle of it, that's a fair way to draw it. If this is for an RPG you can even work that into the campaign -- some areas may get "clarified" once the PCs actually go there.
    Hi hi. Well just as long as I don't completely bypass all laws of nature ^^' It is for my DnD campaign and while that might give me a bit of leeway I want it to be as accurate as possible! Just how impossible is it for something like that to occur? Could, for example, 3 continental plates crash together to form something like this? The area is a big source of raw magic but I don't want to use magic as an excuse to just do whatever - I want to use magic as a flavour for worldbuilding but not the building blocks!

In the XKCD What If? section there was a bit that delved into the topography of Mars and how it would change as the water level rose that might be a bit interesting along with this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post

Wouldn't mountains the Ahaggar Mountains be a good model for the blob of mountains.

That map looks awesome.

I'm back on this map after working on a couple of other projects. Thoughts on how much of this is inaccurate as far as mountains go? This is going to be an area affected by magic but I want to know what obeys our rules and what would be obeying magical rules :')

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 15.10.59.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	769.3 KB 
ID:	124736

Realism would depend a bit on the scale. If this is a relatively small island, it's perfectly reasonable to have a bunch of mountains more or less centered in the middle. If, on the other hand, it's a 3000 km wide continent, a huge mountainous plateau in the middle would need some very specific geologic conditions in order to arise naturally.

Honestly it does a decent job of replicating the terrain characteristics of Hawaii's Big Island (at least from memory of driving around it).

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    Realism would depend a bit on the scale. If this is a relatively small island, it's perfectly reasonable to have a bunch of mountains more or less centered in the middle. If, on the other hand, it's a 3000 km wide continent, a huge mountainous plateau in the middle would need some very specific geologic conditions in order to arise naturally.
    So I still need to work out my scale properly - thats a whole other learning curve - but I can say it's big. Like... 1000miles? ^^'

Based on that scale, your mountains look as though they cover more area than the Himalayas. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider. Artistically speaking I do like the way they look.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast