Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mapping Assets, Textures etc.

Guild Artisan

Thank you. I keep finding new things to turn into pillows. And I like variety.

Guild Artisan

Cutting the lawn, hauling manure down to the woods, and saw a couple great, weeds, ferns, so snagged a couple leaves and started the rendering process. No, I am not stalling on my lite challenge, lol, yeah I totally am. I love mapping outdoors, but inside buildings I drag on, well, except dungeons.

So, after far too long, I got these weeds. In nature, they get to about 4-5 feet if I let them grow. I think they grow some spear type thing out of them. I will have to track them over the summer. The 2nd one is closest to its natural color. The purple shade I am thinking Underdark foliage or caves. This weed is just getting started, really only the first postable attempt. I am going to run some more colors and switch up the leaves for some variety as time allows.

Name:  Weed_001_01_Kier.png
Views: 321
Size:  30.0 KBName:  Weed_001_02_Kier.png
Views: 320
Size:  30.1 KBName:  Weed_001_03_Kier.png
Views: 325
Size:  29.8 KBName:  Weed_001_04_Kier.png
Views: 315
Size:  30.3 KB

They are some good looking weeds! You should let it grow for a month! For art!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    They are some good looking weeds! You should let it grow for a month! For art!
    Oh I will. I got a couple others I am watching on the wood line.

Taking the same leaf I rendered up a slightly different version, a little less full to give some variety, and hit the color ramps up more.

Name:  Weed002_17_Kier.png
Views: 316
Size:  43.5 KBName:  Weed002_01_Kier.png
Views: 292
Size:  44.2 KBName:  Weed002_04_Kier.png
Views: 292
Size:  43.0 KBName:  Weed002_06_Kier.png
Views: 290
Size:  42.2 KBName:  Weed002_09_Kier.png
Views: 301
Size:  41.0 KB

Also was planning on making a younger model of it, more upright leaves just beginning to spread out(will have to wait), but got sidetracked with a new leaf I cutout, and alpha'd. Plugged it into the Weed001 render and well, I like it. A more tropical feel, but I can see it under my palm trees, which reminds me I still have to rework my trunks of those.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

These are really cool. I think the Underdark/cave foliage idea is awesome and these would work really well.

Yeah.... could use them as palm trees too. I've taken a few yard pictures but eh, processing my own pictures happens periodically. Chances are quite good I will be using these.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Guild Artisan

Thank you, Hermit and Tiana. Glad you like them.

I feel you on the files of photos waiting to be processed. So time consuming. I am trying to get better. I only took photos of 2 leaves over the weekend. And both have been cut and alpha'd, not so hard on single leaves. The 2nd one isn't working out so well as the first in my rendering process though. It's huge, I think I have to subdivide the planes, then bend, fold, and crinkle it to get more of a curl in the leaf as its so large. This might give it the dimension it deserves.

Guild Artisan

Found this older tree, labeled untitled. Not sure why I never filed it(I like it!), moved it to a blank spot, Tree019. I know its one of my earlier trees as it was only done in 1 color. I posted it here in 3 different versions. Full Shadow a(Fading shadow deep in the middle fading out, plus a full leaf shadow), Partial Shadow b(Just the fading shading), and No Shadow c.

I am not sure which one people prefer. I tend to keep mine with no shadow, move them in then create as needed. Although, I do find if you keep them with shadows as you pile them up to make a forest, it gives a great layering effect creating depth, so maybe I will start creating them all with shadows.

I also saved them at 1000x1000. Let me know if you would like them at a higher resolution. I created them at 4k I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree019_01a_Kier.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	660.5 KB 
ID:	123135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree019_01b_Kier.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	638.9 KB 
ID:	123136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree019_01c_Kier.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	547.3 KB 
ID:	123137

I tend to prefer no shadow, that way I can design my own shape, but if you provide 2 options that's always nice.

Guild Artisan

I have another tree for you. This is a more recent one. I always struggle with the green ones the most I think. It's the hue, I tend to like visually a more olive green.

I did these with shadow or without, and 4 colors which is the way I do most of mine. That way I can adjust by hue, color temperature, saturation etc as I bring into the map. Also I figure a full grown tree is about 30-35 feet wide, and I like to oversize my png to shrink to fit, as enlarging becomes blurred.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_01_Kier.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	662.3 KB 
ID:	123144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_01a_Kier.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	784.4 KB 
ID:	123145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_02_Kier.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	634.5 KB 
ID:	123146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_02a_Kier.png 
Size:	767.0 KB 
ID:	123147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_03_Kier.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	661.0 KB 
ID:	123148  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_03a_Kier.png 
Size:	787.1 KB 
ID:	123149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_04_Kier.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	586.4 KB 
ID:	123150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree035_04a_Kier.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	720.1 KB 
ID:	123151  

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast