Thread: How do I make zoomable Maps?

Default How do I make zoomable Maps?

I would like to make a map where it's possible to zoom in on a location to get more detail. A lot like google maps (although the transition wouldnt have to be as seamless), e.g. the coastline gets more rugged, smaller road become visible building start to take shape from the city mass.

I thought about doing this by using a Vector program, where I make the world map and on subsequent layers maps with higher resolution and more detail, which I could then make visible according to the factor of zoom.
    But neither do I know how to properly do map scaling, nor do I know if my idea even works haow I imagine it.

Are there programs that I could use to automate this process? Or should I just make the maps to print and be done with it?

Blog Entries

If you look at our community world mapping section in the forums then you will see that we have those. They are done with Leaflet.js which is a free javascript library to do the scaling and rendering of a lot of tiles. You have to provide the tiles - or you can use some online tile repositories like OpenStreetMaps but for a fantasy place you make your own. Have a look through the help and example pages and you can write your own code. Then you host them somewhere with some web space.

Thank you very much! Now I only need to learn how to use it.