Thread: Greetings from a newcomer!

Default Greetings from a newcomer!

Hi everybody!

Just came by to introduce myself. I know the guild from occasionally lurking in and there for years (I suspect to be one of the most Ancient Lurkers around here) and today I've decided to take my step in.

I've been a pen and paper RPG player since I was 8, which is a handful of eons ago. There I learned to love maps, and since then my hobby towards cartography has given me many pleasant moments. Maps make you dream, I'm sure you’ll know that: back at home, as a little boy I was able to spend entire afternoons just looking at my parents' old world atlas, inventing stories happening on its maps. As a reading teenager, I always preferred books with maps, and could spend hours on them before I even got to page 1. Later, as a young grown adult, I became engaged with board games and guess what? me and my fellow players always liked board games better with maps rather than without.

I feel lucky enough to work as a freelance architect, so an important part of my day to day has to do with drawing. I even feel luckier to have specialized in theory and history of architecture, which has given me the chance to become a lecturer in college. There I teach on the subject of historic urban planning where of course we get involved in a close fight with historic cartography.

Oddly enough, I never became aware of my interest in cartography –it just was there- until I started playing board games (again) some years ago, with a more adult background. By that time I found myself thinking if I wouldn’t have drawn or designed the map on the board differently. And that’s how I came to drawing maps myself.

So most of the maps I have drawn are for board game purposes although not all of them. Anyway, my intention is to start posting them here, just to share them with you and ask what you may think of them (I usually am short of time, so my pace will be slow).

Greet you all and glad to meet you here!

B.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild Bretton - many starts as lurkers hehe .. sounds like you have the perfect background and interests for making maps - looking forward to seeing what you map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise