Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Awards suggestion

Default Atlas Awards suggestion

So, first up, apologies if there's an existing thread for this kind of thing, but I searched and couldn't find one.

I'd like to make a suggestion for the Atlas Awards in the future: a new category for Best Newcomer Map. Pretty self-explanatory, but I imagine it being only available to people who joined the Guild within that year or perhaps within the last 2 years. I just figured this would be a nice form of encouragement for our newer members

And since I've got this thread open, here's another suggestion: how about a dedicated Atlas Awards suggestions/discussion thread? I considered putting this into the 2020 discussion thread, but I've got a feeling it wouldn't get seen and would eventually just vanish...

What do people think?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Default Bump!

I'm gonna bump this thread. I think it's important that the Atlas Awards either have a dedicated sticky thread for suggestions/comments, or at least that the idea is discussed

Wingshaw

There is an Intro/Discussion sticky thread in the Atlas Awards sub-forum already unless you are thinking of something other than that.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    There is an Intro/Discussion sticky thread in the Atlas Awards sub-forum already unless you are thinking of something other than that.
    The existing thread seems to be specifically for the 2020 Atlas Awards. I think there should be a permanent thread. And I don't know if it's worth it, but maybe there should even be one permanent thread for discussions/questions, and another for suggestions?

Wingshaw

I'm going to be annoying, and bump this one last time...

It seems to me like a really good idea, and it hasn't received any real discussion. I'd really like to know what people think of the idea of having a sticky thread for the Atlas Awards discussion/suggestions/rules (as opposed to a new thread each year)

Wingshaw

I leave a lot of this up to ChickPea, and in the past to Diamond as well, since they were so strongly in front on the Atlas Awards.
    That said, I can add my own insight into this suggestion...
    Many who join the guild may not be amateur map makers, or novices.
    Is Newcomer just to denote a new member?
    Does it have any bearing on skill?
    And if they are a skilled newcomer, should they not be compared with all other mapmakers?
    Just questions that came to mind regarding this.

Ah, I think just to clarify: my original suggestion was a category for newcomers (which I originally interpreted as new members of the Guild). However, I think the most important suggestion I'm making in this thread is actually that we should have a permanent sticky thread where the Atlas Awards can be discussed and suggestions given. The Cartographers' Choice, GuildWorld, GuildCity, and even Bookmarks subforums have a sticky specifically for discussion, but the Atlas Awards don't (not including the temporary ones which are created specifically for each year; eg the 2020 discussion thread, the 2019 discussion thread, etc.)

Wingshaw

Hrm... I think what Mr. J was hinting at is that join date might not be the best way to approach a "new comer" definition. MistyBee is a perfect example...

Joined in March of 2018.
    Participated in March 2018 Main Challenge.
    Was awarded a Gold Compass and an Atlas Award for said Challenge map.

New Comer to the Guild, yes, but clearly not new to map making.

Not saying a "new comer" category is a bad idea, it would just be a bear to define fairly.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 07-30-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

And some folks have been around virtually forever, yet success still eludes them (we know who we are).

Yes, yes we do.
    GW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast