Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atlas Awards suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Ah, I think just to clarify: my original suggestion was a category for newcomers (which I originally interpreted as new members of the Guild). However, I think the most important suggestion I'm making in this thread is actually that we should have a permanent sticky thread where the Atlas Awards can be discussed and suggestions given. The Cartographers' Choice, GuildWorld, GuildCity, and even Bookmarks subforums have a sticky specifically for discussion, but the Atlas Awards don't (not including the temporary ones which are created specifically for each year; eg the 2020 discussion thread, the 2019 discussion thread, etc.)

Wingshaw
    I think this is a reasonable suggestion.

I think a solid continuous discussion thread needs to happen. Results of the year's winners could be posted there to signify the beginning of a new year of Atlas Awards.

As for what parameters would represent a "newcomer", that's a bit tricky. I still consider myself a newcomer, even though I've been on the site for a coule of years, and have participated in contests and discussions here and there. I have enhanced my cartography ability tenfold from the influences I have taken from this fine forum, but does that constitute anything being that everyone comes here with different ranges of skill?

I'm still hung up on exactly how to pinpoint the boundaries of the title "newcomer" to be honest, but does it really need those concrete specifications? Maybe a loose set of skills to look for, or how kind and helpful someone is towards the community would be a better approach to avoid people slipping through the cracks.

I would happily discuss further on this. I think the addition to the awards could only beneficially bolster the confidence of our less experienced members, hopefully giving them further drive to create better maps.

IR

My apologies, Wingshaw, but I've only just spotted this. Between lockdown and a few other things going on in my life recently, I've been out the loop somewhat at the Guild.

I'll certainly create a sticky in the Atlas Awards folder for people to comment. I'll get that done shortly.

About the 'newcomers' award, I have to say that I agree with the others that 'newcomer' doesn't mean new mapper. MistyBeee and Francesca Baerald hit it out the park from their very first posts. I think it could be quite discouraging to a new mapper to see their work go up against a professional artist, so quite the opposite from what you'd hope to achieve with a newcomers award.

But, all discussion can be posted in the new thread.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12