I started this thread to see if there are any people that make conscious choices about the font and writing style of any text on a map, moreover what do they take into consideration.

I know that the way people write can say a lot about them.
Example: In some regions in scandinavia they used a runic script, the idea is that they used this very square script so it could be more easily carved into stone and that the script only goes in three out of four main directions (vertical and the two diagonal directions) so they could carve it into wood while the wood grain would be horizontal (harder to read if you have parts of it going along the grain).

For the reasons given in the example it is also usually attributed to Dwarves since they work stone and deal with square shapes and straight lines. Whereas Elves would be more in touch with living nature and thus go for more round shapes, as most elven scripts do.

If I Write names of barbarian tribes in a cursive it would be obvious the map has been made by people who themselves are not likely to be part of the barbarian tribes. But it would characterize the barbarian tribe better to use crude maybe even slightly off the line block letter script.

So, do I choose to capture the atmosphere of the area I am trying to represent? Do I present a map as if made by the 'Elegant civilized society represented by one of the nations on or off the map?' (a silent present observer or (un)named 3rd party? Or just as a neutral outside mapmaker.

Do I want my map to be mysterious or readable or representative of the area(s) on it?

*) sidenote: I did think to put this thread under 'Toponymy and Linguistics' but I think that what you write and how you write it have their own choices and quirks.