Thread: Choice of font writing style and Calligraphy.

Discuss Choice of font writing style and Calligraphy.

I started this thread to see if there are any people that make conscious choices about the font and writing style of any text on a map, moreover what do they take into consideration.

I know that the way people write can say a lot about them.
    Example: In some regions in scandinavia they used a runic script, the idea is that they used this very square script so it could be more easily carved into stone and that the script only goes in three out of four main directions (vertical and the two diagonal directions) so they could carve it into wood while the wood grain would be horizontal (harder to read if you have parts of it going along the grain).

For the reasons given in the example it is also usually attributed to Dwarves since they work stone and deal with square shapes and straight lines. Whereas Elves would be more in touch with living nature and thus go for more round shapes, as most elven scripts do.

If I Write names of barbarian tribes in a cursive it would be obvious the map has been made by people who themselves are not likely to be part of the barbarian tribes. But it would characterize the barbarian tribe better to use crude maybe even slightly off the line block letter script.

So, do I choose to capture the atmosphere of the area I am trying to represent? Do I present a map as if made by the 'Elegant civilized society represented by one of the nations on or off the map?' (a silent present observer or (un)named 3rd party? Or just as a neutral outside mapmaker.

Do I want my map to be mysterious or readable or representative of the area(s) on it?

*) sidenote: I did think to put this thread under 'Toponymy and Linguistics' but I think that what you write and how you write it have their own choices and quirks.

That's an interesting point you have here. I agree that the font you use can make a lot of difference. In fact, I almost use new fonts for every map I start. I just can't imagine having edwardian script on an android or medieval map.

It's true as well that only well established cultures have been historically able to develop coherent cartography. So for the sake of realism no map should have "barbarian" fonts on it. Personally I tend to historical accuracy and try to draw maps taking the limited point of view and techniques of the one ho is supposed to have drawn the map. In that sense, if I'm supposed to draw a map for a medieval-like fantasy world, my inner-self tends to try to cope with the limitations and style of real medieval cartography.

But I guess it all will depend on the kind of map you're drawing. Is it a high fantasy map where realism is a minor issue? Then I'd use any font that powers atmosphere. You're normally drawing "all the map" anyway without taking into account that all those medieval-like folks would not know all the regions by themselves or even would know how to start drawing a map. So I'd feel free to experiment. For what I've seen, that's the kind of maps you'll find around here most. And for one reason they normally tend to better, more evocative visual results.

That's just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by Bretton View Post
    That's an interesting point you have here. I agree that the font you use can make a lot of difference. In fact, I almost use new fonts for every map I start. I just can't imagine having edwardian script on an android or medieval map.
    Hmmm, .. now there is an idea ... a Robot with 0010100 on it in Gothic script .... or a Golem in a fantasy setting with a very obvious digital letters on it. Makes me wonder what that would say about the situation. Fair point though

It's true as well that only well established cultures have been historically able to develop coherent cartography. So for the sake of realism no map should have "barbarian" fonts on it. Personally I tend to historical accuracy and try to draw maps taking the limited point of view and techniques of the one who is supposed to have drawn the map. In that sense, if I'm supposed to draw a map for a medieval-like fantasy world, my inner-self tends to try to cope with the limitations and style of real medieval cartography.
    I agree for the most part, and go about things in a similar way but, I would have to disagree for some maps on the''barbarian fonts'' .. for a simple reason ...
    ... I could say for the sake of a D&D campaign let the players run into a barbarian that asks the players for help or that they defeat, that has a map ... made by him or someone of his tribe. ... it would then be a map that is probably crude and barbarian all throughout. Which gives all kinds of opportunity to depict only partial information leave out a cave or add a line that looks nowhere near what it represents. To give the players a riddle to solve.

... now a 'quilt like map' consisting of a barbarian part for the barbarian area and a more medieval style map for a more medieval area or an elegant one for an elven or highly scholarly area ... but that map would need something that sort-of brings the quilt together... which would be quite the challenge .. have the several styles display em in one map ... still make the map look like one whole.

But I guess it all will depend on the kind of map you're drawing. Is it a high fantasy map where realism is a minor issue? Then I'd use any font that powers atmosphere. You're normally drawing "all the map" anyway without taking into account that all those medieval-like folks would not know all the regions by themselves or even would know how to start drawing a map. So I'd feel free to experiment. For what I've seen, that's the kind of maps you'll find around here most. And for one reason they normally tend to better, more evocative visual results.
    Power the atmosphere ... yes, definitely.Especially since in a fantasy setting there might be 'magical means' to make a map, which would make mapmaking limitless in its possibilities.

So the question of 'who drew the map' becomes even more important.. an outside mapmaker/storyteller or someone within the world depicted? Ofcourse codes mysteries or riddles can greatly benefit a map for Roleplaying purposes, but can make a map greatly unreadable since not everyone is able to read Elven script even if their character is suposed to.

Good stuff... you have given me a lot to think about... thanks.
    Last edited by Aldebaran08; 05-08-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling and clarity.