Thread: first city attempt

Default first city attempt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	122574
    feedback more than welcome,, i'm not precious and this is my first go ever , regards Jimmy

Hi Jimmy. I think your map is good already, but there's a few things I can think of to help you:

First, I think that the map is a little cluttered, and that makes it confusing. But that's also part of the charm, so can be a mixed blessing.

Second, you have a lot of empty space inside the walls. Given that medieval cities tended to put a lot of value in the urban centre, they'd probably use as much of that space as they can (but, if you have, say, a ceremonial pathway, the authorities might nonetheless keep it clear, so this point depends a lot on your worldbuilding)

Third, adding shadows on the ground would really help show the 3-dimensional quality of the map

Hope some of that's helpful

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Welcome aboard, Jimmy and congrats for this first city map ! I think everyone here we'll agree to say you're on the right path !

Wingshaw is totally right with what his second point. Compared to the size of a random house, it's a huge empty field there

Two things for me :
    Firstly, the main thing bothering me is the blurry effect once the map zoomed : it sounds you didn't work in high resolution, which is sad, as there's a lot of details lost here now. Always make sure you draw with 0 blur on your brush as well : you'll always get better results and it's always easier to blur things later than to make them crisper.
    Secondly, try to always draw vertical lines... vertical : some of your buildings look slightly tilted, like the main castle for example, which is something you should always try to avoid. Drawing with a light grid under your layer could help if, as me, you have to fight for straight lines

Hope it helps, and once again : welcome !

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Visually it's very nice tho I'll concur with my learned colleagues previously commenting

One more point, it's just a bit odd to my eye where the horizon is meant to be, in relation to the topography. I'm assuming the lefthand "shoulder" of the city is on a hill, but the green grassy area plummets off to the left. Is that just stylistic or is there a steep hill? The perspective of it seems odd.

I also notice there's buildings in the water on the right, just above the tower. Is that intentional? That looks like a prime location for a port with docks and piers, personally I'd make it more clear that's what it is.

Also, is there a gate between the portside area and the citadel? The buildings are clustered tight around the walls but I can't see a gate, this may just be resolution.

How did you create this image, is it software or drawn? Are the buildings stamps? They are distributed rather a jumble, it's hard to make out any sense of streets.

If that's your 1st attempt I'll be eager waiting for following ones! great approach

Guild Journeyer

1st Attempt?!!! Fantastic.

Wow it looks good
    View my website and Instagram