Thread: Graphics tablet recommendations

Question Graphics tablet recommendations

Hi cartographers! Hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I'm fairly new both to cartography and drawing in general. With that being said, lately I've been using an old Wacom bamboo (CTH-470) that a friend borrowed me. Problem is, I can't find replacement nibs where I live and I've been drawing with the eraser instead in GIMP. Everything is working fine from my understanding so far (with pressure sensitivity and size and whatnot), but when I tried the same in Photoshop I couldn't get it to work the same way as in GIMP. So I thought it's time to get a new one.

I'm between the Wacom Intuos Pro S (PTH-460) and the Wacom Intuos Pro M (PTH-660). From what I've read some users state that the Pro S has a rough surface and wears out the nibs quickly, although in Pro M you can change said surface to a smoother(?) one.

Long story short, I don't know what to look for in a tablet aside from size, so any recommendations or things to look out for are welcome!

As an extra question, if someone knows how to "trick" photoshop to treat my stylus eraser as an actual pen like I did in GIMP, I could postpone the purchase for a couple months until I learn how to draw a bit better.

I can't help you about that last question, but the surface on the Intuos Pro S isn't really an issue, the nibs aren't worn out quickly, at least, I've been using my first stylus for over a year and a half without any single problem.
    But then, I don't use my tablet that often, since I have a demanding full time job, so it may be different for a professional artist who draws several hours a day...

Hey, thanks for your input and sorry for the late reply! For some reason I don't get notifications. I went for an Intuos Pro as well. Feels good so far.