Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 2020 Challenge: The city of Žaržēskōi

Wip May 2020 Challenge: The city of Žaržēskōi

So here's what I'm doing It's a map of a city called Žaržēskōi (diacritics are fun ) based on a 1900 map of my hometown, San Salvador. It's a fairly big city, at least for someone who lives in a small country, so that's why I'm making it out of a small portion of it. I'm still cleaning the roads I don't need and drawing the buildings, of which the most important ones, like the churches, the hospital and the National Palace, will have more detail than the rest.

For this challenge, I'm only drawing the general plan of the city. My wife gave me a very cool story for this city, but I think I'll it leave for another map, one that also represents the nearby volcano

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zarzeskoi-WIP1.png 
Views:	409 
Size:	871.6 KB 
ID:	122718

I think that's a promising start!
    I think the way you draw the street layout is interesting

Hey, thanks! The streets are actually from OpenStreetMap, but what you see here won't be the same in the end

Update! A little one, I must admit, after almost a week from when I started.

I got rid of the roads I didn't need, but I also need to draw some more to make the whole road net make sense. There are some roads that stop before making it to the edge of the map, for example. I'm also in the process of drawing in detail the most important buildings, like the big green building at the top, which will be an amphitheatre or a horse racing track. I also made a cathedral, the Government Palace and the city's town hall. I began making forests, like the one in the right. Please tell me what can I do to improve my forests.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Zarzeskoi-WIP2.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	122922

I'll be waiting to see ho this develops!

Quick update! The only new thing here are the buildings and just a little bit of detail on the horse racing track, which will also have a lot of trees surrounding it. Also, I've decided to add the forests later in Photoshop, I think it will be easier than doing it directly in Illustrator

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Zarzeskoi-WIP3.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	122944

Hey! Let's see how this is doing

Here's what I have.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Zarzeskoi-WIP4.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	123120

It's almost complete, save for a few details like some (*cough*a lot of*cough*) buildings missing. I followed morganPotPie's advice for the forests (thank you for that!) and I also created a couple of textures in Photoshop for the grass and dirt around the city. I pondered about inserting a compass of some sort, but in the end I thought it wouldn't be necessary. I hope this won't be my last WIP post, as there are things that may change in the future. Tell me what you think!

Wow, that's been a giant step forward. Looks really nice, hope you get to finish it!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really cool, love the colors hope you get to fill in a few more buildings, that would be awesome
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looks comfy! It's only a bit strange that the buildings aren't very close together, I guess? The textures are on point though!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast