Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Writer/Artist, seeking advice on programs and tools for Map-making

Default Aspiring Writer/Artist, seeking advice on programs and tools for Map-making

Hello all, brand new to here. I am an aspiring writer and artist hopeful, and I have been trying to research on different means of creating custom fantasy maps. In the middle of world-building my lore for a fantasy series I want to make, and I have been itching to start making map concepts to visualize my lands better. I am not an expert in any field of art. I have on and off experience for a few years with traditional drawing, and only a few months experience with digital art tools.

I read this was the best place to be when it came to making unique maps for fiction in general, and I was hoping for those with more experience to offer guidance on a few things. What are some of the most recommended programs/tools for digital art drawing of maps. I am hoping to have options for both paid/free, and programs recommended for beginners, and eventually with time more detailed veteran programs.

Thanks!

Welcome TempusNusiku

I think most of the digital mappers here use Photoshop (or the free equivalent Gimp). Lately I think ProCreate has been gaining popularity.

It also depends a lot on the type of map you're working on. The best way to learn, really, is to get started and share a WIP in the relevant forum.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I think it depends a little on where you are coming from. Are you an artist already? If so, I think there are more programs that will work for you.

If you feel you do not have artistic skills, don't use a drawing tablet, and prefer scripts or brushes & stamps there are programs better suited for that.

That mentioned, Photoshop certainly can do both and we have a plethora of tutorials on how to do stuff.

I have used Gimp, Photoshop, Artrage and Corel Painter and they all have pros and cons.

I think Photoshop & Gimp because they cover all the bases are a safe bet. I know GIMP just released their latest version but I haven't used it in years so I can't vouch for anything current.

Welcome aboard, and Wingshaw's advice is good.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Welcome TempusNusiku

I think most of the digital mappers here use Photoshop (or the free equivalent Gimp). Lately I think ProCreate has been gaining popularity.

It also depends a lot on the type of map you're working on. The best way to learn, really, is to get started and share a WIP in the relevant forum.

Wingshaw
    Okay, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I think it depends a little on where you are coming from. Are you an artist already? If so, I think there are more programs that will work for you.

If you feel you do not have artistic skills, don't use a drawing tablet, and prefer scripts or brushes & stamps there are programs better suited for that.

That mentioned, Photoshop certainly can do both and we have a plethora of tutorials on how to do stuff.

I have used Gimp, Photoshop, Artrage and Corel Painter and they all have pros and cons.

I think Photoshop & Gimp because they cover all the bases are a safe bet. I know GIMP just released their latest version but I haven't used it in years so I can't vouch for anything current.

Welcome aboard, and Wingshaw's advice is good.
    Where would I find the tutorials? Thanks!

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Thank you very much.

Hi there,
    You might also want to try Fractal Mapper 8.0 or Inkarnate. Both offer paid subscription, but there's a free trial for a start. Also: there's Project Deios. If your budget allows you to do a one time purchase, try Wonderdraft (I used it only once to
    write my paper collection on worldbuilding for an aspiring fantasy writer.
    Last edited by arthurnottheking; 10-12-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Wonderdraft is $35. Other World Mapper is I think $55. You could even use Photopea, which is a free in browser Photoshop knockoff. There's all of the Campaign Cartographer tools. I mean, really, there are tools so anyone can make a map these days. They're time consuming, not really 'hard'. I maintain an entire list of every free fantasy map generator or map making programs of reasonable price.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

regarding Inkarnate, it's worth being aware of the following in their terms of service:
    https://inkarnate.s3.amazonaws.com/i...-june-2020.pdf (scroll to User Content)

Ownership of and Responsibility for Content INKARNATE does not claim ownership of the materials you create using the Website and Platform. How-ever, by using the Website and Platform to create, post, upload, input, provide or submit User Content, You are granting INKARNATE, its affiliated companies and necessary sublicensees, a non-exclusive, world-wide, perpetual, royalty-free license and permission to use User Content in connection with the op-eration of INKARNATE’s business, the Website and the Platform, including, without limitation, the license rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and refor-mat, and create derivative works of such User Content for collaborative editing, viewing, promotional use and advertising, administrative, monitoring, analysis, machine learning, maintenance and product and service enhancement purposes. No compensation will be paid with respect to the use of User Content, as provided herein. Notwithstanding, INKARNATE shall not sell User Content to third parties.
    this is apparently separate from "publishing" your work on the site, which is addressed in a subsection, so as far as I can tell, there's no way to use the service without granting them the above license.
    the idea that they claim license rights allowing them to use anything you create with OR UPLOAD/post to the site for their commercial purposes (note: "promotional use and advertising") doesn't sit well with me. Possible I'm missing something here, and it may not bother some people, but I thought it worth highlighting.

what limited mapping I've done was playing with GIMP or free-handing stuff, but GIMP has a ton of tools and it is free. only thing is that the more recent versions may not match well with the older tutorials, so if you aren't good at finding things in menus that may be tricky for learning some of the techniques. though you can always just download the older version to start with!
    Last edited by science&creativity; 10-18-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast