Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Great Maze of Tadon-Or

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor

I put some more time into the map, continuing work
    I've starting to carve out the maze and ideas I've had for it. The names are temporary but i might keep them, or a few
    I am testing around with the fonts, which is why they are all different. I really like the Living Hedges one myself, but i think it might be hard to read, so I may just end up looking a bit more
    I think I may end up putting more 'mystery spots', or may make some smaller ones. I would also like to add some teleporter points in to keep things interesting
    Any critiques, ideas, pointers, suggestions are always welcomed!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maze of Tadon-Or_r1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	8.04 MB 
ID:	123199

Quote Originally Posted by morganPotPie View Post
    Oh my gosh, the map is wonderful and that maze looks amazing!! You are pretty much spot on about the texture fill on a path, a just used a brush over the outline selected.
    I am hoping I can get this thing done in time.
    and thank you for the advice - i will have to check out Affinity Designer!
    I think it's still 50% off, but, if you are paying for Adobe you might as well stick with Adobe, as it is more fully featured and you will run into limitations at the same time as finding it easier to do some tasks. Thank you for the compliment on the maze. I think you can make a ribbon brush in Illustrator too! Then your hedge would follow your path and you would only have to make the one. Good luck finishing yours, I look forward to the next step.

Edit: Ah you just posted it! I like the new green hedge and the smoke! For teleporter points maybe you could pair two symbols, like "spade and spade".

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I think it's still 50% off, but, if you are paying for Adobe you might as well stick with Adobe, as it is more fully featured and you will run into limitations at the same time as finding it easier to do some tasks. Thank you for the compliment on the maze. I think you can make a ribbon brush in Illustrator too! Then your hedge would follow your path and you would only have to make the one. Good luck finishing yours, I look forward to the next step.

Edit: Ah you just posted it! I like the new green hedge and the smoke! For teleporter points maybe you could pair two symbols, like "spade and spade".
    Ahh I love the idea of the spades. I was honestly going to go with letters within a square (A->A) but the symbols are much better, i think i will use it. Thank you!!

continuing some more work, I am finally starting to feel a bit better about this one
    I had to resize the image, i made it too big at first, seems to help Photoshop now move things quicker
    still a bit to go, but any critiques are very welcomed!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Maze of Tadon-Or_r2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	13.97 MB 
ID:	123221

Looking great, the hedges textures work well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Looking great, the hedges textures work well!
    Thank you, Bogie!
    I had a very hard time trying to get some good textures that not only worked well by themselves, but with the others where they meet!

Looks pretty cool to me, if you ever want to keep your huge image you can slice it into 3-4 pieces and work on each one separately and stitch them at the end... I have done that for some huge pieces that dragged down Photoshop. Or I'll merge everything and draw on the new merged copy (be sure to save a copy or REGRET in the future).

I like the creepy exterior roses.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Well, I definitely got carried away with a few other life projects, but i was able to 'finish' this one in time for tonight at least!
    I want to say I will go back and work on this a bit more, however, the Photoshop file is quiet slow with everything on it. Perhaps one day i will flesh out the sites, such as the Tea Gardens and the Hall of Broken Knights. Time will tell!

I know I've already put the backstory in my first post, but I am feeling the need to place it here again. Not much new has been added
    I have however just gone through and put together a brief 'elevator pitch' for the numbered sites. I'm leaving the big smoked sites up to your imagination

-------------------------------------------------
    Tadon-Or, one of the greatest libraries ever built.
    Knowledge is power, all the wise ones know. When Tadon-Or was built, it was to be a great archive of all that was ever recorded in the world: cooking recipes, spells, architect secrets, history, local legends, town populations, moon cycles, poetry, and all else that could be thought of and written down.

When the structure was to be build, one question above all lingered in the minds of those involved: Should this great knowledge be available to all?
    "No" was the general consensus, and thus the idea of a Great Maze was purposed.

Any of those who seek the knowledge within Tadon-Or must complete the Great Maze.
    The Maze itself is littered with various traps, pitfalls, and other unknown encounters.
    Once completed, you no longer have to complete the maze to enter and are given passage to the Traveler's Portal and a Key to access.
    Keys to Tadon-Or are built upon your blood and experiences in the maze - no other may use your key. Thus, no key looks exactly alike.
    You are given your Key upon completion of the Maze.

Having access to Tandon-Or is seen as a great privilege.
    The maze itself has taken people anywhere from 8 hours to 3 weeks to complete.
    There are 3 Gate Entrances, any willing soul may enter.

Will you find the End, and be able to enter the Library of Tadon-Or?
    -------------------------
    1. Talking Door
    This magical door loves to talk and does not realize adventures come here for the passage, not to converse.
    There is a key, or a trick, to opening this door. Can you talk it out of the door?

2. Game Fields
    Large open fields for games, both magical and 'normal', bloody and pleasant

3. Ooze Lair
    There is an Ooze which roams the maze, slow moving and easy to detect. Only those who going looking for trouble with the ooze find themselves in tough situations, like exploring its lair.

4. Gardner's Hill
    A small friendly little hamlet. Supplies the brews for the Broken Table.

5 Sanctuary
    Many come to the Sanctuary looking for aid, help, and advice. A price is always paid for help received, wanted or not.

6. Broken Table Tavern
    A rowdy tavern, library members receive discounts.

7. Hot Springs
    A natural Hot Springs within the maze, come and relax for a bit.

8. John's House
    Johns a nice man.

9. Echoing Well
    A seemingly endless hole that seems to constantly scream. Pitch grows higher at night.

10. Star Observatory
    Only accessible through a teleport from the library itself. Observe the celestial bodies and sky here.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Maze of Tadon-Or_r3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	9.95 MB 
ID:	123408

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Looks pretty cool to me, if you ever want to keep your huge image you can slice it into 3-4 pieces and work on each one separately and stitch them at the end... I have done that for some huge pieces that dragged down Photoshop. Or I'll merge everything and draw on the new merged copy (be sure to save a copy or REGRET in the future).

I like the creepy exterior roses.
    That is a bloody brilliant idea!! ha, i had never thought of that. Thank you for the save/copy advice
    and thank you on the roses! I've updated them in my latest version,, hope they are still up to par!

Still looks good. The only thing that throws me off a bit is the stuff outside of the moon gate, I'm not sure if it's a town or if it's a cemetery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast