Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Great Maze of Tadon-Or

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor

Default May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Great Maze of Tadon-Or

Tadon-Or, one of the greatest libraries ever built.
    Knowledge is power, all the wise ones know. When Tadon-Or was built, it was to be a great archive of all that was ever recorded in the world: cooking recipes, spells, architect secrets, history, local legends, town populations, moon cycles, poetry, and all else that could be thought of and written down.

When the structure was to be build, one question above all lingered in the minds of those involved: Should this great knowledge be available to all?
    "No" was the general consensus, and thus the idea of a Great Maze was purposed.

Any of those who seek the knowledge within Tadon-Or must complete the Great Maze.
    The Maze itself is littered with various traps, pitfalls, and other unknown encounters.
    Once completed, you no longer have to complete the maze to enter and are given passage to the Traveler's Portal and a Key to access.
    Keys to Tadon-Or are built upon your blood and experiences in the maze - no other may use your key. Thus, no key looks exactly alike.
    You are given your Key upon completion of the Maze.

Having access to Tandon-Or is seen as a great privilege.
    The maze itself has taken people anywhere from 8 hours to 3 weeks to complete.
    There are 3 Gate Entrances, any willing soul may enter.

Will you find the End, and be able to enter the Library of Tadon-Or?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For this map, I plan on doing the maze section for this, not the library itself.
    Things may change, but that is my idea for now
    I've only got a few ideas for this thus far, but this is the picture I am using for the inspiration

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wallpaper-Castle Maze.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	122856

Welcome back to the challenge. Love your backstory, can't wait to see the maze!

Thank you, Bogie! This should be fun to try and map!

I've finally gotten some sort of rough sketch laid out.
    As stated, there are three entrances:
    - The Rose Gate
    This is is rather based on the picture from the inspiration. It is your classic hedge maze, with mostly plants that make up the walls.
    Before the maze entrance is a garden of Roses, lending to the name of this Gate.

- The Gate of the Sea
    This gate is accessed by the mouth of a cave down by the sea. The Ocean scent surrounds you as the sand from the beach enters your boots.
    Large stalagmites and stalactites construct this partially underground section of the maze.

- The Moon Gate
    The Moon Gate has a darker impression. Before this gate holds a cemetery, the people buried here of various places and for various reasons. Some simply found within the maze.
    The Gate itself holds a large circular gate made of bone, which continues onward into the maze.

There are various places in the maze which seem to shift, making complete mapping impossible(so far!). (these are the black spots, temporary for now but just wanted get the idea in)
    There are various landmarks within the maze, though I haven't put them in yet - perhaps a small pond/lake, a small garden, various statues, etc...
    I also plan on throwing a 'difficult' force into the maze, again not settled on anything yet
    I'm not sure about the scale yet (probably should have figured that out first, but it will come!)
    There is a small path connecting all the gates, though i way take this away later depending on how this goes when I think on it more and if that would be useful

I am honestly not sure if the maze is a place holder for now, or if i will really work of this. Time will tell.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Maze of Tadon-Or.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	9.25 MB 
ID:	122966

Nice! I didn't even think to ask if you worked in Clip Studio Paint, in which I made a hedge maze brush... too late now!

There's a djinn in the maze, whose containment was used in the making of the centerpiece, and now they can't escape, and they wander aimlessly in their now larger prison.

I like the three colors of the maze.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thank you! I am working in Photoshop/Illustrator, though its my first time with Illustrator and it is frustrating at times lol
    If you have a version of your maze I would love to see it! I am still trying to figure out what I am doing exactly and gathering inspiration, seeing your map (if available) would be awesome!

If you feel like comparing...

Name:	aryanatext.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	755.8 KB 
ID:	123042
    I made a ribbon brush (I think once you know that you can see how it works) and it looks like you did a texture fill on a path? That's my guess since you said Illustrator was involved, and it looks like that's how it could have been done. So I just had to do one pass for each wall. It was extremely efficient and I will be doing it again. Your maze is cleaner, but, it is also the main attraction of this art. Mine was made for a challenge earlier in the year, it wasn't a prize winner but it has got me commissions already, so that's a net win in my books.

I can definitely see we chose different methods of constructing it, and our mazes have different purposes... mine is just a fun little game for the owner of the estate, not a challenge. You're not supposed to get lost. Maybe sometimes someone gets driven over the edge. Yours is like an enormous encounter. For some reason it has a life all of its own. Mine are just hedges, grown by a mean lady who likes to garden, and likes to make fun little mazes.

Illustrator is frustrating. I agree with that. I switched to Affinity Designer. It's less complex and easier to quickly do simple vector tasks, I found.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Yowza! That's a lot of maze to get through. Looking good though and a very fitting back story.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

cool maze.. and love the backstory for the map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    If you feel like comparing...

Name:	aryanatext.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	755.8 KB 
ID:	123042
    I made a ribbon brush (I think once you know that you can see how it works) and it looks like you did a texture fill on a path? That's my guess since you said Illustrator was involved, and it looks like that's how it could have been done. So I just had to do one pass for each wall. It was extremely efficient and I will be doing it again. Your maze is cleaner, but, it is also the main attraction of this art. Mine was made for a challenge earlier in the year, it wasn't a prize winner but it has got me commissions already, so that's a net win in my books.

I can definitely see we chose different methods of constructing it, and our mazes have different purposes... mine is just a fun little game for the owner of the estate, not a challenge. You're not supposed to get lost. Maybe sometimes someone gets driven over the edge. Yours is like an enormous encounter. For some reason it has a life all of its own. Mine are just hedges, grown by a mean lady who likes to garden, and likes to make fun little mazes.

Illustrator is frustrating. I agree with that. I switched to Affinity Designer. It's less complex and easier to quickly do simple vector tasks, I found.
    Oh my gosh, the map is wonderful and that maze looks amazing!! You are pretty much spot on about the texture fill on a path, a just used a brush over the outline selected.
    I am hoping I can get this thing done in time.
    and thank you for the advice - i will have to check out Affinity Designer!

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    cool maze.. and love the backstory for the map
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast