Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Isoxandria

Some things there I was not expecting from other posts. It's becoming more and more interesting!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Yes? No?

Mostly no. A little bit of yes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP5.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	8.04 MB 
ID:	123777  

Hey now, I'd say there's far more yes than no going on here. This is an eye opener! I love how precise the layout is, with a degree of variation that I really appreciate. Even fully zoomed out it looks spot on, great.

Oh and those portraits, they are stunningly well done, do you draw them from scratch?

IR

Guild Journeyer

I like the portrait, good ideas. It fits well with the whole city.

A question : what are the little yellow/blue/red an others dots in the building in the south? (in south south west, at the end of the canal loop)

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I love how precise the layout is...
    Well, that stuff is quite time-consuming, more so than actually putting in the buildings. My aim is a believably organic fantasy city, so I play around with the street layout and different districts a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Oh and those portraits ... do you draw them from scratch?
    If I said yes, would you believe me? Haha, yeah, but no, no I don't. My skill at non-cartographic illustration is not near the level of those portraits. So, I must admit, I've pilfered those from various sources on the interwebs. And yes, pilfered means stolen. Although, I do play around with the images to a degree where I tell myself that I'm not just straight up plagiarising other people's work. For example, the blue-skinned kid wasn't originally blue-skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bindusara View Post
    what are the little yellow/blue/red an others dots in the building in the south?
    Why, they're bales of spider silk, of course, milked from various species of the little freaks at the spider farm, which is what that building functions as, and spun into textiles at an adjacent mill. Spider farm... Ugh, I get shivers from just typing that combination of words.

Guild Apprentice

Wow I love the coast lines on the city. I feel like there is so much detail on the hight of the land with the water flowing naturally around the higher rocky surfaces. how did you do those?

Cool map, and rather defensable city given its completely surrounded by the bay

Guild Journeyer

Farmer silk, lovely idea. I saw one of the spider used fo this in a silk museum. They are still "farmed" to make some silk (for special forces, military protection mainly).
    See for example a spider silk mantle : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soie_d..._silk_cape.jpg

and the loooovely spider : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephila :-D

Farmer silk, lovely idea. I saw one of the spider used fo this in a silk museum. They are still "farmed" to make some silk (for special forces, military protection mainly).
    See for example a spider silk mantle : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soie_d..._silk_cape.jpg

That's insane, I had no idea it was a real thing. Now we only need the dwarves to make it financially viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Maps View Post
    ... I love the coast lines on the city. ...how did you do those?
    A few different layers, but bevel effects do most of the work in terms of getting the elevated effect. I'm stilling working on finding a cool look for waves that will be splashing on the rocks and running more calmly through the canals.

Damn it, why do I look up pictures of spiders on the internet when I know perfectly well that I hate spiders and can't stand the sight of them!?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    ...Now we only need the dwarves to make it financially viable.
    I feel like it wouldn't be dwarves but a different, weirder race that has expertise in spider silk farming. Especially since the spiders aren't just regular real-world spiders, but big and colorful and ugly fantasy spiders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast