Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Isoxandria

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default [WIP] Isoxandria

Well, I don't do these WIP threats too often, so let's see if I can keep this one going.
    Some years ago, I started on this map, but as I am want to do, I eventually lost interest in it, and moved on to other things. While I like the style of that map, I think the topography of the city is rather uninteresting, and to me, the geographical setting of a city map is as important, in not more so, than the buildings themselves. I really like organic and intricate street layouts, and unique geography often encourages this in a map. So I took the look of Azentyne and moved it to a new location. The main inspiration should be obvious, but in case you don't recognize those barrier islands, those are based on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Everything you see is, of course, subject to change. I've turned off most of the detailing, because it makes it easier while working in Photoshop, so while Isoxandria looks "clean" relative to Azentyne, the final map should be more similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	7.34 MB 
ID:	122871  

Losing interest on maps you are working on, now that is something I am familiar with!

This looks like a great start to a city.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Losing interest on maps, now that is something I am familiar with!
    Indeed. Also, since I am incapable of making "small" maps, the risk of burnout is significant.

I remember that last one. Glad to see you are picking up the idea and style again

Wow, I managed a second WIP. Milestone.

The black and white circles on the right are placeholders for portrait inserts. Yes, the map will have portraits of some notable citizens.

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	9.05 MB 
ID:	123179  

Another one.

Didn't like the southern section or the docks. Also don't like the eastern forest and grass, so that will change too. Probably everything will change.

Name:	WIP3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	7.76 MB 
ID:	123339  

Looks like this is coming along really nicely.

Really awesome work so far! I really like your shapes, they feel very natural!

Oh, yes, and by the way, each building will have slightly varied shades of that bone white, and should also end up looking more separated to where you can see individual blocks. But this will probably be among the final details I add, since I make the buildings with the path tool and a few layers styles in Photoshop, and there's this weird interaction between those techniques. Especially The Narrows look a bit messy right now because of this, like big clumps of white, but the end product should look better.

Oh.
    Well.

Things are somewhat coming together. The map border will of course have some artwork to make it look something other than just black fill, which is what it is right now. And maybe the portraits will be a bit smaller, 'cause I think they might be a bit too big.
    And as you can tell, a bunch of other things still aren't near done yet.

Name:	WIP4.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	8.30 MB 
ID:	123434  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast