Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menhir - My first battlemap

Map Menhir - My first battlemap

Hello everyone,

Thought i'd start off here by sharing my first battlemap, based on an old piece of concept art that I created a few years ago. It's part of a personal IP that I'm hoping to build on through mapmaking and more concept art.

All done in photoshop, though the concept art used a bit of 3D and photos from an Iceland reference pack by the artist Noah Bradley.

Description
    Two giant constructs of stone rise from the the horizon. The surrounding lands are bleak and barren, void of any features except for a small stream that winds it's way across the landscape to pass between the ancient pair.

Approaching the monoliths, the howl of icy wind fills your ears and you feel the crunch of snow underfoot. Strangely the wind drops to nothing when you finally reach the space between the two stones, only the gentle movement of the stream preventing total silence.

Hewn of stone, similar to that revealed along the banks of the stream, the menhir feel cold to the touch. Weather and time have not been kind to these ancient monuments, but surprisingly strange carvings can be seen on the outer sides of each. The meaning of these has been lost to time, but fanciful stories tell of gateways to other worlds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MENHIR_snow_day_grid.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	122806

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MENHIR_conceptart.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	122807

Blog Entries

Thats nice and very evokative imagery. I foresee some good maps heading in from you as you clearly have a good handle on Photoshop.

I totally dig it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That back story for the map is really amazing! It would certainly be an eerie place to be around. The 3D perspective also really helps to do it justice. The height perspective brings it to life!

Wow, this looks amazing! I love the way the map has been painted, I always adore these kind of works that kind of marry the 3D-ish look with the handrawn vibe. Love the effect on the rocks and on the ice in particular.

I'm now very eager to see more, this is extremely promising, so please keep 'em coming!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I love the colours and the depth in this - can't wait to see more from you like this
    That concept art is incredible too

Thanks folks, I'll make sure to post some more stuff. Want to try and get involved in the challenges too.

It took me a bit of time to associate the 2 pictures (or to see where the menhir was on the map if you like), but the map and the illustrations are sumptuous.

Yeah, I think that's because I did them so far apart time wise. Making the concept art match more with the maps is something I'm trying to improve in my future work.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Love both of these images. The map itself has some gorgeous use colours and textures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast