Thread: May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Living Dungeon

Post May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Living Dungeon

I'm in! I have made my selection:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon Entrance44.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	122923

It kind of looks like a face to me, so I've decided that it is. Here is the entrance to The Living Dungeon!

And this time, I'll be mapping on my new computer, trying to get the hang of my new wireless mouse, so we'll see how that goes. I'm also going to have to figure out how much I want to focus on the exterior and a wilderness map where you find the entrance and how much I want to focus on the interior and work out the details of The Living Dungeon. I do hope to manage both, even if one part has to be more sketchy and the other primary and more detailed.

Thanks for joining the challenge rdanhenry!
    This picture is what gave me the inspiration for this challenge.

Wip The Crude Sketch of the Living Dungeon

Made a grid in GIMP, then moved to Krita and sketched a layout.

I also started on the lore:

“So, you are thinking of heading out to Aklov’s Masterwork, are you?” the grizzled old bear of a man questioned his way into a group of adventurers who realized that they had probably been talking too loudly for a quiet inn. “You know why they call it the Living Dungeon?”
    “Every delve needs a colorful name?” guessed the little “scout”.
    The man laughed. There was humor in his laugh, but darker currents underneath. He had scars that suggested that he’d only lived to show them by giving back far worse.
    “There’s some truth in that, but it’s rather more literal than that.”
    “Oh, dear!” exclaimed an androgynous humanoid who was as beautifully handsome as handsomely beautiful. “It isn’t one of those ghastly giant monsters that you have to go running through the guts of to kill, is it? That’s so nasty! I’d rather raid the Crimson Hells.”
    “No, no. Not as bad as that. It isn’t some huge monster that you run through like a dungeon crawl. It is an actual dungeon, stone floors, walls, and ceilings. Mostly. There’s creatures inside and treasure, too. It is alive, though. A living, thinking thing that lies immobile in the earth, just waiting for you to come inside and feed it.”
    “Feed it?” the hairy one that was as wide as he was tall asked. “I thought you said it wasn’t a beast.”
    “It is not. As I said, it is truly a dungeon, but to stay at full health, it needs to gather outside energies to fuel its functions. It cares not whether you kill the inhabitants or they kill you. Either way, inert organic matter will be left available for what passes for the dungeon’s digestive functions. It’s all analogies to biological processes we don’t much understand. I’ve seen a shiny silver and white city on another plane where they claimed to understand the innermost workings of life. Me, I spent my education more in learning the ways of death.”
    “I can respect that,” the hairy one said. “It just wants some corpses, then? We can provide those. We just want to loot them before the dungeon does what it wants with them.”
    “One way or another, if you enter Aklov’s Masterwork, you will surely provide corpses. If you live, you should be well supplied with treasure. Optimistic fools of all kinds go in, carrying their own little treasures. They pile up in time, until someone succeeds in removing them.”
    “How do you know all this?” asked the mysterious man in black, dark except for the shine of his polished metal buckles and his intense eyes.
    “How do I know? From experience. Aklov was a crazy old wizard three hundred or so years ago and he made the Living Dungeon as a final go at a lasting legacy. So many have gone in, heroes, mercenaries, drifters, wandering encounters, bands of bandits, gobs of goblins, shambling beasts, and curious little cats. Some of them come out again. Actually, I think those that live there are free to come and go. Intruders have to go through to the rear exit in order to depart, to ensure a good bit of nourishing violence.”
    The feline female, last of the group to address the stranger, asked, “This cat is not so little, but she is curious. What else can you tell us? And what is your price?”
    “No price. I invested wisely after I made it out alive. A few other profitable ventures and a few more investments resulted in my being one of the richest men in the wooded hill country. I can’t tell you much of value. It has been too long, much probably will have changed. There are analogies to a normal living thing in that place, but it is all analogies, not exact matches. Watch out for the acid pit. That is likely still there. I cannot offer much in the way of theory or even technical observations. I was not the brains of the outfit, I was the brawn.”
    “And the brains?” the “scout” asked.
    “Only two of us made it out again. The other is known as Mad Bloody Axe Phillip the Bone-Bedecked, so you might guess he was brawn as well. Last I heard, he was settled into life as a supervisory pillager with the Ouskvin raiders. He’d tell you the same as I, the one thing you need to be clear on before you go in. The only way out is through. Don’t think you’ll be able to retreat halfway in. That’s what happened to us. We ran out of healing potions, buffing herbs, and raw spell power in the middle of the dive. We’d gotten used to hit-and-retreat tactics and did not come adequately prepared nor did we nurse our resources. You need to do both if you hope to fare better.”
    The man turned to go, but added a few more words as he went.
    “If you do manage to do so, look up Darin Trollwreaker when you go by Ravensburg. I’d like to hear what the old place is like these days, and maybe you’ll even have learned a few of its secrets. I’ll throw the survivors a celebratory feast.”

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Living Dungeon.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	966.9 KB 
ID:	122967
    Last edited by rdanhenry; 05-27-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Should have edited before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I also started on the lore:
    As everyone knows I love a good dungeon map and I'm loving the look of this (and Greason's too BTW) so far. The Lore makes me want to gather a bunch of foolhardy murder-hobos and raid the joint! Definitely looking forward to future developments.

Have you considered what style you're going to use? Old-school or something more modern, like a Mike Schley or Gilliaume Taverner (apologies if I've misspelled the name) style?
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

I'll lay out simple black and white, though I'm hoping a can get something a bit more organically hand-drawn in feel than the default style I'm working on, which is why I'm going to try Krita, which has better art brushes than GIMP, IMO. From there, I'll elaborate as I have time, inspiration, and -- perhaps most limiting -- ability. I might do the interior black and white, but a color exterior.

Digging the back story. Hope you get a chance to work/finish this.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh.. nice backstory - looking forward to seeing it mapped
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip

Drawing straight-ish lines with the tablet is... not something I can do for too long at a time. Also, control-Z saw a lot of use. But I have the rooms and corridors laid out and created a contrasting background. Doors will be added with the rectangle tool, so shouldn't take too long, then I'll try to art the permanent details of the structure: acid pit for breaking down organic matter, water pump for controlling water flow that keeps things flushed out, air pumps for heating or cooling to maintain temperature, etc. Mostly, rooms will probably just get numbers, as features come and go as the inhabitants change.

Then, I'll see if I can't get an outside view.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Living Dungeon.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.41 MB 
ID:	123257

Has a nice hand drawn look to it.

Looking really good mate. I assume, once you're just about done, you'll invert the grid so it only shows in the rooms?
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast