Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June '20 Lite Challenge: Sciath's Spar

Guild Artisan

Default May/June '20 Lite Challenge: Sciath's Spar

Sciath's Spar

I wanted to get something up today. Not much of a backstory yet. Foul Master of the dark arts tower in the middle of lake/swamp. The Sorcerer likes poison, disease, water, hence living in a mildewed infested tower, opened to the waters below. Also granting easy access to work/mutate his foul creations that live below and the waters around. Should be 3 Stories tall.

Planning on mapping all 3, this would be the middle one. Going to be the lab area so to speak. Living quarters and darker stuff up above. The lower level is water logged opening to the body of water in which the tower sits. Hopefully working on the 3 levels separately then putting together in 1 map as I near the finish.

Kind of looks like an eyeball to me at this point. But the basics are down. The ring around the center is designed to be an inlay to ward his creations from crossing. I am planning a railing around the center still. Stairs going up and down, and work benches, and bookshelves and potions, scrolls all that good stuff.

It will take a bit as this tower is round, and the assets are harder to create( , that's a sad face(redundant as I see it made the sad face). Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TowerE.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	497.4 KB 
ID:	122929
    Last edited by Kier; 05-21-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Guild Journeyer

hey, we're both on the same inspiration ... and in both cases, an eye from above .

Instead of rounding the assets, why not cluster them in the middle and put the stairs around the edge? So you can still have a square block of shelves. Doesn't look like an eye to me!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Eh, I can see it as an eye in thumbnail version, sort of. Brown iris and a blue pupil... Full size version doesn't strike me as being eye-like though. Looking forward to "seeing" (bad pun? ) where you go with this.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

The floor boards look great! Welcome back to the challenge Kier!

Guild Artisan

Thank you all.

Good idea, Tiana on centering all the assets. I am going to try to go round, as I really want the hole in the tower to feed and cast spells on his creations. The living quarters the, level above will have a hole through as well, not nearly as big though.

If I get stuck curving everything, I may have to rethink it.

Messed around with stairs yesterday, way to long trying to get the railing curved right. Still not 100% sold on the railing color choice, but color is the easy thing to change. And still need to add the back end of the railing. I also think the stairs may still be too wide at this point, venturing into the 5 foot width, when I think they should be closer to 3 feet. I may tinker with that today, as I face some bookshelves and see if I can get the curve look I am going for.

I have to remember to cut some windows in or at least get some light shining in representing them.

I think once I get the base idea down, the other 2 levels will fall in quickly. Of course the bottom level will be easier for me as its water and rocks. The top will still have a lot of assets needed. Maybe I will just load it with my pillows, like a bouncy room.

Sorry about the grid, I know everyone hates them. I will make sure its gone on the final.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Towerh.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	122950

Guild Artisan

Has it really been 2 weeks since an update? This one is going to be close if I can pull it off.

Finally made some progress this morning. Not liking any of my furnishings to date, I moved onto the lower level, the rock outcropping etc, which I am much more comfortable working in. I think it came together well. I quickly posted the basic layout for the final map. I think the title will go in between the water level and the top 2 levels.

Obviously the top most level, with no floor is really just on for layout purposes, the 2nd floor, needs to be furnished. And the lower level, while its pretty close to what I want, its still only a first attempt so items may change there.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	SciathsSparFinal.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	123261

Guild Artisan

Probably the last update today.

But I am thinking the basics are now down for all 3 levels. Just a matter of cleaning up shadows, lines, etc. Then furnishing the floors, border, and titles. 10 days? I think I can do it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	SciathsSparFinala.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	123264

I'm liking the look to this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast