Thread: need some advice on a futuristic Minas Tirith like map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just some ideas that might help (or hope so...)
    If it's SCI-FI I suppose people who built the city woud have advanced technology (wouldn't they? Maybe not; will depend on the kind of future...). But if they did, they would have used straight, machine-based lines to carve the city into the mountains. They would have used resular patterns for their streets layout and would have channelled the river to fit their interests as well.
    I find that the organic, curved nature-based lines you're using now do give a medieval, low-technology feeling that does not fit into a conventional sci-fi idea.
    If that's the case you may find some inspiration in some cities and settlements that have been founded from scratch in the last 50 years. Asia and some middle-east regions might prove helpful, if you're thinking of a big metropolis and censtralised political power (your city is a colony); contemporary terraforming techniques against hostile environments would fit better for smaller, mostly agrarian settlements (your city was founded by a self-ruled settlers community).

Default yes they do have advanced technology

while they do have advanced technology the idea was to give it an old school feel where things were spread out. but thanks for the information i will incorporate that into the map. i would love for it to be a city but i wasn't sure if it would make sense to have a grid-like structure to roads and city blocks (which i want to have) thanks very much