Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Isles of NoSea

That's looking really good so far. As for shading, since they are part of the border, you might be able to get away with leaving the trees unshaded. That would help to keep it set apart from the actual mappy portion of the map, maybe....
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Oh! I'm loving how this one is coming along. Well done Kacey

As for the shading for the trees. I don't feel you need much in the line of actual cast shadow. But, having darker and lighter spots on the trunk and sporadic places in the leaves will give a nice effect.
    Maybe, save a second version of it and go into full experimental mode. It might give you some new results. Now, I would suggest that maybe you should use the dodge/burn tool for adding highlights and shadows to the trees, its mostly a good way to add them while keeping the texture in tact. Just use a brush with more random consecutive brush strokes.

Though, again, wonderful job so far!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good - I agree with GW, maybe no shading is needed on the trees?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Looks awesome Kacey! I love how those rock lines are sharp and curling at the same time. Gives it a nice cartoonish touch that I love! Can't wait to see the end product!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    That's looking really good so far. As for shading, since they are part of the border, you might be able to get away with leaving the trees unshaded. That would help to keep it set apart from the actual mappy portion of the map, maybe....
    Thanks Greason Wolfe, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Oh! I'm loving how this one is coming along. Well done Kacey

As for the shading for the trees. I don't feel you need much in the line of actual cast shadow. But, having darker and lighter spots on the trunk and sporadic places in the leaves will give a nice effect.
    Maybe, save a second version of it and go into full experimental mode. It might give you some new results. Now, I would suggest that maybe you should use the dodge/burn tool for adding highlights and shadows to the trees, its mostly a good way to add them while keeping the texture in tact. Just use a brush with more random consecutive brush strokes.

Though, again, wonderful job so far!
    I will have to try that, experimental mode is a good idea... Thanks for the helpful tips!

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looking really good - I agree with GW, maybe no shading is needed on the trees?
    Thanks tilt! Well... It seems unanimous, and my family here at home are saying to take it easy on the trees too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    Looks awesome Kacey! I love how those rock lines are sharp and curling at the same time. Gives it a nice cartoonish touch that I love! Can't wait to see the end product!
    Thanks For the kind words Mimine, I’m glad you say this because I was definitely going for a more cartoonish look this time.

Guild Expert

And a quick update... Just been working on some land colour and mountain shading, let me know what you think, is this green on the landmass ok?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FE7DECD-AE3E-4B92-8A77-7C001ECE5C46.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	123153

Looks good.

I really like this map.

The green look ok to me.

I think it comes as no surprise when I say the shade is maybe a bit light for my personal taste, but that is just my dark heart speaking again!
    Well, actually, it's not really the colour being too light, but I think the shading could use a bit more power to it. No idea if you are even finished with it anyway, though.

In any case, I already love how this is coming along. I said it before, but it bears repeating - glad to see you back!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Yey, Kacey !! So glad to see you around, and with such a promising little thing ! ^^

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast