Thread: Technical question about e-books

Question Technical question about e-books

Hi folks,

Sorry if I'm in the wrong subforum but it seemed closer to my demand than others.

I was wondering if any of you had knowledge about e-books ? I'm currently drawing a double page map for a novel and the client's going down the self publishing road and we'd nee to know how a double page map will appear in the e-book.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers !

Some of this depends on the format and layout and the device itself, but on most non-tablet e-readers, a 2-page map won't be very readable. Tablets like the iPad allow you to zoom in and such—I use a Kindle Paperwhite for my reading, but if the book has a map, I like to throw it on my iPhone as well so I can read it. The Kindle is just too clunky.

Their best bet is to split the map in two, then have "two" 3:2 maps laid out portrait style, so they fill the screen. (This might also help you when you label so you'll know where the split is and don't have words cut off.)

I just ran into this as a user last night starting K. M. McKinley's The Iron Ship. I'll snap a few photos to help illustrate the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	123085

Here's what I man, On Load is how the image is displayed when you first land on that "page" but Kindle allows for a long press, and then a little Zoom icon appears and if you tap on that it makes the image fill the screen. Either way, they're not very readable.

Thanks a lot KMAlexander, it's really helpful

Thats very useful